Cleaning a Slate Floor

Category Floors
Slate Floor
This rock flooring needs some special attention. This guide is about cleaning a slate floor.

We have a slate floor in our sunroom (which is the gathering place when our children and grandchildren are visiting.) I found that regular cleaning did not remove oily looking stains caused by food being dropped.

I decided to try a little trick I have always used to get oily stains out of clothing: sprinkle baby powder on the stain, rub it in, and let it set for a while. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, but on tough stains it takes longer, maybe even several hours. I have also found that cornstarch or flour will sometimes work if I don't have baby powder.

After letting the powder set, brush it off or vacuum with the brush attachment, then wipe with a damp cloth. It's worked many times for me! (On clothing, it usually is not necessary to wipe with a damp cloth.)

By Ann from Dublin, GA

Hi, I accidentally spilled some oven cleaner onto my kitchen floor tiles and only realized the next day. This has left a stain which I can't seem to remove. Does anyone know how I could remove it? They are (unsealed) quarry slate tiles. Thanks!

Jayne from UK

Hi,

I wish I knew. I heard that putting oven cleaner on bikes mufflers would clean them wonderfully. But it got on the grey powder sides under the motor and left large weird stains. Can anyone help

I spilled oven cleaner on my linoleum floor and a generic Target brand "Magic Eraser" sponge was the only thing that got the stains out (after multiple tries with other things). I'd test a small section first before trying one on slate, though. Also, prepare to scrub if it works. A lot.

Thanks, I've just ordered some Magic Erasor so I'll give it a try. In the meantime, I'm happy for any other suggestions as well:)

Try vinegar & baking soda in a gall of water or less, good luck.

On the shower walls of one of our bathrooms we have slate on the walls. The slate is all uneven and all different colors, I love it. Technically it's my husband's bathroom and he hates everything about the slate (he picked it out). We already spent the money refinishing the house, so it's not going to be able to be changed anytime soon.

Anyway, the slate tiles have gotten soap scum on them and I don't know how to get it off. When the tile was installed it was sealed. We want to seal it again, because some time has gone by, but I need to get the soap scum off of it first.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me please? I've looked on HSN and QVC because they have so many cleaning products available, but no luck.

Thank you.

By metroplex from Houston, TX

A good bathroom foam spray with a brush.Then get rid of the bar soap and start using Bath/Shower Gel.

I find Magic Erasers good for soap scum, but if the tile is rough, it may really wear down these things.

Whatever you use, when it is clean, have your husband wipe down the shower with a towel or a squeegee after he showers. Then you won't get this build up.