Cleaning a Water Heater

Category Appliances
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning the sediment out of your water heater can improve its efficiency. This is a guide about cleaning a water heater.

My mother has asked for me to see if anyone knows of a way to clean out your hot water heater tanks. She has used vinegar in her dishwasher, etc. for years and knows it works great on hard water build-up and she feels that if she could do this in her hot water tank it would extend it's life, etc. Anyone know of how to go about doing something like that?

Tawnda

I don't know how you would put vinegar into your hot water heater tank. The book on my last 2 water heaters say to drain about 5 gallons of water out of it once a month. (The reasoning is if there is sediment, it should come out with the water.)

I have found that cleaning with Vingar did the job well. It took me 24 hours to complete the task.

As for putting the vingar in, all you do is undo the cold water inlet and add about 6 gals to a 40 gal tank.

Heater now running good and free of cal-build up.

Time wel spent.... Chuck D

I find it strange no-one has posted more about puting vinegar into a hot water tank to clean hard water build-up.

Most hotwater tanks have a place to put an anode in,just undo that or take anode out,then pour in (using a funnel) your vinegar.I find it only takes about 3 litres maybe once a year up here in Northern British Columbia, Canada.

Then of course put the anode back in ...............and..... Bob's your unc..................all done

Put 6 gallons in water tank, have left for about 3 hours. Turned up the heat. Water emerges bubbled up. I guess from the PH neutralization and then turns blue.

Anyone have and answer for this. Expect to leave hot solution in over night and then drain through sinks and bath. Any one have some more visibility on this.

I was wondering if you had any tips on how to get rid of the bacteria in the hot water heater? Thank you.

Angela

You didn't state your source of water to the hot water heater. We have well water in this rural town. Our water gets a gets a harmless bacteria that makes it smell bad. It also lives in the water heater making the hot water even worse. We pour about a cup of household chlorine bleach (not scented) into the well every 30 - 45 days. Any water that we use for drinking or cooking is run through a pur faucet filter.

When we first moved into our house our water heater had a bad odor ours. We turned off the power and the water supply to the water heater. Then hooked a garden hose to the botton of the heater and turned the valve on and drained the heater. Some smelly stuff came out. Turn water back on and run water through it for a few minutes. We haven't had the problem anymore. You might give it a try.

We have city water, and none of our neighbors have any problems with their water, so it's obviously something in my house - heater, pipes, drains etc. Thank you so much for your response, and if you think of anything else let me know! Thanks