Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

I found my dream wedding dress 2nd hand. Its gorgeous and exactly what I wanted. However it needs to be cleaned. After reading the label, it says do not dry clean and do not wash in washer. I love this gown, but its dirty and has a "I've been in the closet too long" smell. Any suggestions?

By Satinangel from Canada

Answers:

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

Use vinegar to clean the dress. I had under arm stains on mine, the vinegar works. Just put it in the sun, after you apply the vinegar. It may take a few days. Reapply every day till spots ago away. To get bad smell out put in dryer on "air" only for a few minutes, good luck.
(01/27/2010)

By kffrmw88

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

Turn it inside out and then put it in the sunlight. I notice your post indicates Canada, so there may not be enough strong sunlight. Next suggestion, buy a small package of baby bottom wipes and wipe the inside of the garment. I've heard people swear by these wipes for cleaning up every mess imaginable. Good luck. (01/29/2010)

By cookwie

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

Order online or you may be able to locate "A Clear Choice". Market tied up with excellent product used mostly exclusively at the theater and opera. I have it and use it on the most delicate and also the most stubborn stains and spots. (01/29/2010)

By muttmom

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

If it says do not wash in washer, maybe you can hand wash it. Or just soak it clean. You could lay it out flat to dry and maybe blow dry the wrinkles if any with a hair dryer. If you can't wear it like it is you could try. Otherwise I would spot clean it. (01/29/2010)

By Ann