Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

My sister gave me her hand me down wedding dress. But it has mold and water damage to the dress? Someone please help me with advice on how to clean it.

By Beverly from Kirtland, NM

Answers:

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

I worked at a cleaners for years. We had dresses that people left the tags on and brought in for us to press, some as high as 3 or 4 thousand dollars, silly to me. As for home cleaning, sometimes just washing did the trick, but you have to use a commercial large size washer to do it. If you look at the tag it will probably say, "Do not Dry Clean, Do not spot clean". If you put anything on it to spot clean it you will have a circle that will not come out.

If you wash it, just make sure you take it out immediately after washing. If it does okay, then take it to a cleaner to have it pressed. More than likely they will have you sign a paper that releases them if it ruins the dress. I cannot figure out why they would sell a dress that cannot be washed or cleaned especially at that price. Most of the time if it has no rayon and it says to Dry Clean, you can always wash it. If it has rayon, it will shrink all out of shape. Hope I helped just a little. If you take it by a cleaner, ask them if it will be alright to wash or not. (03/15/2010)

By aloneandtired

Cleaning a Wedding Dress at Home

A pro would use Orvus. (03/16/2010)

By muttmom

Wedding Dress
Cleaning a Wedding Dress
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Pink Wedding Dress
Dyeing a Wedding Dress
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
🎉
🎄