Cleaning an Above Ground Swimming Pool

My husband drained our above ground swimming pool for the winter. Now I'm trying to clean it. There is like dry mud and I have been brushing the bottom and it is coming off, but taking forever. Yes I know now that he should not have done that. It is very bad. This is the first pool I have owned. Can anyone tell me if I can get it clean an easier way? I know nothing about pools or is my pool ruined? Please help.

By Amanda

Anonymous
Best Answer

Never drain the pool unless you plan on taking it down. If you leave the water in over winter drain it half way and chemicalize it for the winter in the spring shock it and use algacide. If it is an index ultra pool gray in color I leave mine up all winter long. Easier to clean come spring.

Best Answer

I have an above as well. I drained mine one year and same issue as you, tree bud and all. I used hot water with dish soap. Use a pool brush meant for pools and shopvac out as you go. Takes a few hours. My pool is 18' round. Hope this helps. You only need to drain just below your shimmer each year.

I also have had an above ground pool and I have NEVER drained it completely! I put chemicals and take off the parts that need to be taken off and put cover on! It usually only takes me 1 1/2 day and my pool is ready to go!! Clean the bottom of your pool with a scrubbing brush they have ones for pool at a pool store. Get as much as you can up then fill with water and let your filter clean some of the stuff you couldn't get up and vacuum your pool really good!! Keep backwashing as a dirty pool needs to be backwashed often! Good luck it's a pain I know but when it's all clean you will enjoy and REMEMBER, next year don't drain it completely!!

I tried several searches trying to find an answer for your dried mud problem. However, all the suggestions for any type of cleaning is with the water in the pool. If you want to salvage the pool, probably a local pool cleaning company might help, it is at least worth a try. You can also refill the pool entirely and start from scratch-there are many suggestions online. You can search "how to clean above ground pool" and will receive many answers.

Wet dry vac