Cleaning the Bathtub

There is no shine in my bathtub since son and grandson moved in. Such grime--it stands firm against even Barkeeper's friend. Help.

Evie from Pensacola, FL

Answers:

Tough Tub and Tile Stains

For bad tub and tile stains use cheap oven cleaner, spray on, and let it sit for 1 hour. Then go it and use sponge and wipe clean. Next take a mixture of vinegar and water and spray the tub and tiles down. This works to block further build up. You can also spray the vinegar and water on tub and tiles weekly for better results.

By Alyssa

Editor's Note: I would definitely try this on a small part of the tub before applying to a large area to make sure it doesn't discolor the tub. Also, try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser first. I have found that a lot of stains that used to require drastic measures can be removed with elbow grease and a magic eraser. Also, oven cleaner is quite nasty, so be sure to wear gloves and ventilate the bathroom as much as possible. (06/09/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Dryer Sheets To Clean Tubs

Use a dryer sheet to clean the grime off of the sides of the bathtub. It works great. The texture of the dryer sheet, combined with the fabric softener in the dryer sheet helps lift away any nasty tub ring instantly!

By Leah Hoffman (07/11/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning the Bathtub

After the tiles are clean and dry, apply turtle wax to them. Lets water bead up and lets them clean up like a dream. Only needs reapplying 2 or 3 times a year. But remember just the walls never the floor of the shower.
cj in dallas (07/11/2005)

By cjgeo

Cleaning the Bathtub

We purchased a brush that you use for cleaning tires on a car. It can be used for other things but does good for the tub. It comes with a longer handle or short one. We use baking soda to clean the tub. Once you get it really clean this is all we need to clean the tub. (07/12/2005)

By Dgrams

Cleaning the Bathtub

A product called Tub-Rite will remove those grey stains that accumulate on non-skid surfaces. I bought it at www.tub-rite.com. (08/04/2005)

By pcrown

Cleaning the Shower and Bath Tub

I always use a kitchen broom to wash the tub, There's no bending involved and both the tub and the broom get clean. I have used different products over the years but always with the broom. Try it, You won't think it's such a chore with the broom. We have a large shower now and are still scrubbing with the broom, it shines!

By Jan Wade (09/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning the Bathtub

I have only one suggestion for cleaning the tub and shower area: the magic sponge: the dense white sponge that usual only needs to be wet to take off grime. I spray the shower/tub area with any cleanser and dampen the sponge. All the soap scum and built on lime or calcium deposits come off. This used to be the worst cleaning job in my home. The sponges are expensive, but for me they are worth it. I hope when they are on the market longer there will be store brands which should lower the price. (09/17/2005)

By SusannL

Cleaning the Bathtub

Target has the magic sponges (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser) boxed under the Target brand name at a lower price. (09/17/2005)

By cookwie

Cleaning the Bathtub

You can also buy the magic sponges at the Dollar Tree, a 3pk for a Buck! They work just as well as the Mr.Clean! (09/17/2005)

By jenjoejace

Cleaning the Bathtub

I had no idea the sponges were at Dollar Tree. Thanks!

PS Have you compared them to the Mr. Clean ones. Same quality? (09/18/2005)

By cookwie

Cleaning the Bathtub

Consider changing from soap to one of the liquid body washes. I believe they are detergent rather than soap, so you will have no more soap scum buildup. I changed to body wash about 6 months ago and just need to do an occasional fast once-over cleaning of the tub, so much easier! (09/19/2005)

By Claudia

Cleaning the Bathtub

I've got a stain in my bathtub that just won't come clean. I have no idea what this grayish brown stain is. So far, I've use a lot of elbow grease and various Clorox products. While it's better, it still is pretty nasty. (03/08/2006)

By maria

Cleaning the Bathtub

I try to buy almost everything from the Dollar Tree, but I was VERY disappointed in the Mr Clean Eraser look-alike. It didn't hold up well at all and didn't have the cleaning power. I had a coupon for the real things while they were on sale at Wal-Mart and got 2 for about $.58! Too bad I didn't have a dozen coupons!!LOL (11/09/2006)

By hsorbits

Cleaning the Bathtub

I love comet bathroom spray for tubs and showers. Best thing I have ever found. (11/09/2006)

By Dede

Cleaning the Bathtub

I have a cleaning service and clean 2 or 3 tubs a day. I used to use a soap scum remover and was worried about breathing in the fumes. I have found that liquid lemon Joy or similar dish soap works along with Comet. I soap down the walls and tub with a large sponge and let set for 15 min or so. Rinse off and if usually there is some buildup left in the tub. I combine liquid dish soap with comet and mix in the bottom of the tub. I use this paste to remove whatever buildup is left. If shine is important, I've found Softscrub the best product, although more expensive than dish soap and cleanser. (11/10/2006)

By Sally

Cleaning the Bathtub

Use straight vinegar mixed with diluted dish soap to clean the tub. i keep mine in a spray bottle. the smell dissipates quickly and it works great.

You might switch from soap to a gentle dish soap like ivory or joy or palmolive. It will clean the kids and not leave such a ring. Make it a rule-rinse the tub after each use. If it doesn't have time to set up its easier to clean up.
(11/10/2006)

By Carla Bledsoe

Cleaning the Bathtub

Mineral spirits will bring back the clean white luster that you are looking for. Unfortunately, the solvent is volatile and you need lots of ventilation when using it. For light discoloration or stain use and rag and rub on in a circular motion and use another dry rag to wipe away solvent. For big problems use a paint brush to spread solvent over problem areas and let sit for 3-5 hours with windows wide open. Use a rag to wipe away residual. Remove swell by mixing a good hair conditioner and shampoo together and rinsing tub with copious amounts of cool water. (11/10/2006)

By Delanese

Cleaning the Bathtub

Tide cleans tubs very well. If not on hand I use soft scrub and comet with a touch of lemon juice. I also clean my tub every day so this may also help (11/14/2006)

By giftsandbags.com

Cleaning the Bathtub

The gray/brown stains that the bottom of the fiberglass bathtubs is why I came to this site.I've never had one before always had the metal ones before this one, so this is a new adventure for me.Ive used every cleaner I can think of,and they haven't worked.
I'll try the Mr.Clean magic sponges and see if that works. You would think there would be an easier way to clean these tubs! (04/21/2007)

Cleaning the Bathtub

I own a bathtub repair and refinishing company and I use bar keepers friend you can purchase at local grocery store in work wonders, any stain, rust, scratch etc. Just don't let it sit on tub for no more than 5 minutes. It does have a acid base to it. It will start to etch tub after 10-15 min. However it is a awesome tub cleaner. (03/18/2008)

By chris cj's bathtub repair

Woman's hand holding blue cloth cleaning the tub spout.
Cleaning the Bathtub
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄