Clearing a Sluggish Sink

I have a bathroom sink that is extremely slow in draining and backs up. I've heard of certain things like boiling water and dishwasher soap poured down as a possible remedy. However, that did not work. Does anyone have any more ideas? I'm just a homeowner trying to save money. Thank you.

By dleo1144 from NH

Answers:

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

Try using one cup of ammonia, poured into each drain, then follow with a pot of boiling water (be careful not to spill on yourself, kids, or pets).
I read this tip somewhere here, to remove the sticky soap scum that clings to drains. It worked wonders.(07/23/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

First I would get something to poke down the drain, like an open bobby pin and check to see if there is any hair blocking the drain. You'd be amazed how much hair can be in there, then do the following:

Use a 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Pour the soda down the drain and then quickly pour in the vinegar and close the drain. Let is sit for approximately 5 minutes and then flush with hot water. (07/23/2009)

By PICO

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

My bathroom sink does the same thing. My husband cleared it the first time by pushing a straw down into the drain which cleared it up for several weeks. I keep the straw under my sink and now do it myself when it becomes sluggish. My spouse thinks mine is mostly due to me cutting my bangs every ten days or so which combined with the soap and toothpaste causes a buildup of gunk in the drain.

My drain has the a fairly long (about five inches) plastic type of stopper that you open and close with a lever on the faucet. There is a metal cross bar at the bottom of the plastic piece and that is where all the stuff accumulates to cause my drain problem. (07/23/2009)

By Kathryen

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

The overflow pipe that vents to the top of your house will get clogged with hair, grease, lint, and other debris. Have your hubby, or other responsible adult, go on the roof and pour drain opener down that. My mom had this problem and every time Roto Roter came they did just that and it always worked. (07/24/2009)

By grannygirl

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

I've found that pouring anything down the drains doesn't do much good unless I take a clothes hanger and get all the the hair and gunk that's built up. (07/24/2009)

By TXBetty

Clearing a Sluggish Sink

Pour straight Clorox down the drains. The Clorox will eat away anything that is is the pipes stopping them up. Do not ever use Clorox if you have a septic tank though. The Clorox eats the good bacteria in the septic tank and can cause your septic tank to back up in your house through the drains (my aunt learned this the hard way). Good luck to you and keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it turns out for you. (07/24/2009)

By Paula Jo Carr

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathroom Sink
Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Stainless Steel Sink
Removing Rust from a Stainless Steel Sink
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄