Clothing is Bleeding onto Itself

I have a red sweater with white cuffs and collar. I followed the directions to wash in cold water, but the red still faded onto the white cuffs and collar. I tried rewashing, but they are still pink. How can I remove the pink without bleaching the red sweater, too?

By Gwen from MS

Clothing is Bleeding onto Itself

Two methods of treating brand new multi-colored clothing to prevent bleeding are:

1. Fill washer 1/2 full of cold water, then place either of the following (but not both) and agitate for about 1 minute:
    • 1 cup of salt or
    • 1 cup of vinegar (clear)

2. After agitation has blended either of the items well, place clothing in washer and agitate for about 3-5 minutes.
  3. Stop agitation, and let washer remain "off" for about 5-10 minutes.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 about 4 or 5 times; then let the washer complete it's cycle. The colors will be "set".

I used this method on my daughter's cheerleader outfits for 12 years (yes, she started out as a "mascot" and went on through graduation). I also use this on my expensive multi-colored clothing (washable of course). (02/10/2010)

By Cajun62234

Two color rugby shirt.
Clothing is Bleeding Onto Itself
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding