Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Coffee Mug Cake Recipes

Chocolate Mug Cake

A personal cake can be made in a coffee mug. This page contains coffee mug cake recipes.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Last year at Christmas time, I needed something to give out to 16 employees. I looked for something personal and affordable. I had seen the 5 minute chocolate cake recipe and had made one. It was simply delicious and way too easy to make.

Time was running out so I gathered all the ingredients, and made up pouches to go into mugs I had bought at a local salvage yard really cheap. I added the recipe tag and gave each girl a mug with a Christmas theme on it for a gift. I added some cute Christmas themed clip art to the tag and some darling curling ribbon bows.

This is probably the cheapest gift I have ever given anyone. I got lots of wonderful comments on it. If you would like to try it, here is the recipe and the tag to add to it.

• 4 Tbsp. cake flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 Mug

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Put into a baggie and tie shut. Put the baggie inside the mug and give it a little curling ribbon or decorative bow.

On a tag add the following: To this mixture add one egg, 3 tablespoons milk, and 3 tablespoons oil. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

Recipe: Chocolate Mug Cake

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • splash of vanilla extract

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients first in a med/large coffee mug, then add the wet ones. Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000 watt nuker. Instant and easy 5 minute chocolate cake!

Serve it alamode, drizzle with chocolate syrup, inject with caramel... the possibilities are endless.

By Sirrush from Alamo, New Mexico

Recipe: Coffee Mug Individual Size Cakes

Happy Fall! There have been so many things going on in my house. I found this new recipe which is not probaby new to you guys, but it is to me. It is the cup cake that you bake in the microwave, perfect for me. I tried it out today, and it was great!

I took two boxes of cake mixes and mixed the dry mix out of the two boxes together. One box can be anything you like, and the other has to be an angel food cake mix. Just tear into all the envelopes and mix them together, just the mix in the box. I used an spatula to mix them with.

Then they go into a resealable plastic container with a lid. This is your mix.

Then you take three tablespoons of the mix and put with it two tablespoons of water. Cook it in the microwave for one minute in a coffee mug. I loved it, and it was so easy.

Approximate Time: 2 minutes

• 1 coffee mug
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 mixing spoon
  • 1 cake mix angel food
  • 1 resealable plastic container
  • 1 other cake mix

1. I took two boxes of cake mixes and mixed the dry mix out of the two boxes together. One box can be anything you like, and the other has to be an angel food cake mix. Just tear into all the envelopes and mix them together, just the mix in the box. I used an spatula to mix them with.

2. Then you take three tablespoons of the mix and put with it two tablespoons of water. Cook it in the microwave for one minute in a coffee mug. I loved it, and it was so easy.

By

Recipe: Dangerous Chocolate Mug Cake

I am not a cake connoisseur but this is tasty and definitely quick and also thrifty because you don't have to bake an entire cake (which might not all be eaten before spoiling) to fulfill a craving. If you like small portions, it's good for two servings.

Ingredients

• 1 coffee mug
  • 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. baking cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 capful of vanilla extract

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in milk, oil and vanilla, mix well. Place coffee mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

During cooking the cake will expand over top of coffee mug but it won't make a mess and will recede once the cooking stops. It's kind of cool to watch the process ;-)

Allow to cool a tiny bit and tip out onto a plate if desired.

And why is this "Dangerous Chocolate Mug Cake" dangerous? Because now we are all only 10 easy minutes away from a chocolate cake fix ;-)

Source: Received via email from a friend who hadn't tried it yet. Sounded intriguing to me so I decided to try it and tweeked the recipe a tad on the second try ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Recipe: Coffee Mug Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. cacao (Horlicks or Milo or Nesquick, any flavour)
  • 1 egg
  • 4 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil

Directions

Mix ingredients in mug and bake in microwave for 3 minutes.

To make a pudding, add Whiskey/Brandy/Liquor to pudding when taken out of oven and add a dollop of cream.

By Marlene from Pretoria, South Africa

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Coffee Mug Cake Recipes.

Question: Microwave Coffee Mug Cake Using Cake Mix

I've lost the recipe for the coffee cup cake. Please help me find it again.

By Cookie from TX

Most Recent Answer

By Carly St.Clair05/13/2010

Diet Alfredo Sauce using a quart of fat free half and half. Thicken fat free half and halfwith cornstarch by placing 2 heaping Tbsp. of cornstarch in 1 cup cold fat free half and half and stir thoroughly. When the remainder of the fat free half and half comes to a slow boil on the stove, add the cornstarch mixture. It will thicken. Next add 1 cup of your favorite Parmesan cheese, 8 oz. of fat free cream cheese and garlic powder and salt to taste.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 2-3 Tbsp. milk chocolate chips (optional)
  • A small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large coffee mug

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil. Mix again well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed.

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Eat. This makes a generous serving for two. If you're a chocoholic, watch out. With this recipe you are only five minutes away from a deliciously, decadent dessert.

Note: I sprayed the mug with a little Baker's Joy to insure its coming out more easily. I also think I'll add chopped nuts next time. My grandson and I made one tonight and it was scrumptious with some vanilla ice cream on the side.

Source: This recipe was given to me by a dear friend who has raised five children. I'm sure she has to be very creative with her cooking.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I make this in a Land O Lakes spreadable butter container. It is oblong and since it has a lid I can turn it out on a plate and slice it into four or five slices, take one and put the rest back into the tub for the next day. The lid keeps it moist and it is so yummy. Sure I could eat the whole thing at once and I have, but then it is no longer a treat. I need to use the tread mill twice as long to make up for the extra calories. (01/30/2009)

By Edith

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I changed the recipe and the cake doesn't boil over and comes out fluffier not gooey. I omitted the egg. I also used heaping Tablespoons of the cocoa. I've also added a dash of salt, and a spoonful of chopped nuts and a spoonful of mini chocolate chips.(2-3 Tbsp). I sprinkled it with powdered sugar before serving. Use a 12 ounce mug, or near to that. (01/31/2009)

By karifl

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Edith, not all plastic containers are safely microwaveable. The #5 type are, but I don't think #1 or #2 are. (01/31/2009)

By Nance

Archive: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I am looking fro the recipe for a 5 minute chocolate mug cake.

By hamnurse from Thonotosassa, FL

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
  • 4 Tbps. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • a small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients in mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watt power. This cake will rise over the top--do NOT be alarmed. Allow to cool and tip out of cup if desired. (05/24/2009)

By Mellinda62

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Here's a sugar free version. I make it ALL the time as I can't have sugar. Of course not quite the same as the sugar'd version but for me, hey, tasted sooo good. I get so many recipes (including this one) off of a site called:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/search?q=5+min+cake

Shelly's 5 Minute Chocolate Protein Cake

• 1 Egg, beaten
  • 3 Tbsp. Milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup (I may use white chocolate, hazelnut or any variety but should go well with a chocolate taste)
  • 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
  • 3 Tbsp. Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use the lighter Bisquik)
  • 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
  • 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 - 2 cup Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug
In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes (my microwave is getting old and needs 20 seconds added now.) Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices. Place cookie cutter in the center of each slice and cut out shapes. Leftover cake scraps are great tossed into a batch of Protein Ice Cream (05/24/2009)

By Trundgirl

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Also, go to this link for some other Five Minute Chocolate Mug ideas/recipe variances :-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/search.ldml?q=dangerous+chocolate+mug+cake (05/27/2009)

By Deeli

RE: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

This is much better with brown sugar instead of white and 3 Tbsp sultanas, and in my 1000W microwave It's only 2 minutes, 40 seconds (12/09/2009)

By Ausjulie