Cold Sore Remedy

I need help finding a treatment that works for cold sores.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Answers:

Cold Sore Remedy

My cheap remedies that have worked for me are L-lysine and zinc (not both at the same time). L-lysine, I always take at least 500mg at the start of an itch and take 3x day. I had a nurse tell me that zinc would help so the last one I had, I took 50mg zinc for a couple of days. From what I have heard, L-lysine high doses aren't dangerous but the zinc you do have to watch the dosage. Anyway I'm not a doctor or a nurse, this is just what I have taken. I also make sure to keep it moist. I don't like Carmex that much, I generally use high moisture chapsticks or Vaseline (especially at night) (08/06/2005)

By jots

Cold Sore Remedy

I take L-Lysine 1000mg. When I feel one coming on I take two and then take another in the afternoon or morning, goes away the next day or so. (08/06/2005)

By Fran

Cold Sore Remedy

The l-lysine also prevents the cold sores. My husband spends a lot of time in the sun and was getting them weekly. Since taking 500mg a day as a preventative he's not had one. Good luck (08/06/2005)

By CEIL

Cold Sore Remedy

Try holding plain, (non-sweet), yogurt in your mouth for five minutes, two or three times a day. (08/06/2005)

By

Cold Sore Remedy

l-lysine works wonders but your cooking vanilla will also dry them up. (08/06/2005)

By snigdibbly

Cold Sore Remedy

I am no longer plagued by cold sores but when I was I always used "Carmex".

By bbartlein

Cold Sore Remedy

I do not get cold sores, but my husband does. He used to get them really bad and very large. Then his doctor prescribed "Denavir". He starts to apply it when he feels a "tingle" prior to the cold sore. He hardly knows he has a cold sore now and I can't even see it. He had tried every over-the-counter medicine and nothing worked. Without insurance, I think Denavir costs about $25.00 for a tiny tube, but that tube is enough for 4-6 cold sores. My husband and I both think it is worth the money, (08/07/2005)

By Elaine

Cold Sore Remedy

I asked at the health food store that I go to regularly and my friend who works there swears by something called IPSAB. It is made by Heritage Products and available at health food stores. You can use it every few days as a mouthwash as prevention or on a q-tip or finger 2x day until gone. It is supposed to be good for the cold sores outside and the mouth ulcers inside as well as the gum disease that makes your teeth loose. My daughter and granddaughter both get them really bad and they think that this works.

Ellen (08/07/2005)

By eplitt

Cold Sore Remedy

I go to the Pharmacy and ask for a bottle of ULCEREASE. I promise you this works. I have used it for years. A bottle lasts a long time. It is a little expensive, about $10.00, but it is worth every penny. My Pharmacist said to drink buttermilk to help counter react the acidity that causes them. Hope this helps. (08/07/2005)

By seamstress

Cold Sore Remedy

Hi Stephanie, I use to get cold sores and sun blisters all the time. Then a doctor told me to get some Paba. You can get it at a health food store and it`s really cheap. I just take 1 pill a day in the summer . Seems to work all year. (08/08/2005)

By littlebity

Cold Sore Remedy

I just started to get one this morning. As soon as you feel the tingling, put an ice cube on it for about 1-2 minutes. The longer the better. It should be gone by day's end. (08/08/2005)

By Fran Marie

Cold Sore Remedy

ZYLACTIN (08/19/2005)

By Wildhazelpisces

Cold Sore Remedy

I find that Friars Balsam works like a charm. In fact if you put some on when you first get that 'tingle' telling you that one is on the way, (use an earbud), it doesn't develop at all. I haven't had a cold sore since I started doing this. (08/29/2005)

By Muriel

Cold Sore Remedy

I have had problems with severe cold sores for many years. The most effective treatment I have found is Hylands Homeopathic Cold Sores and Fever Blisters formula (available at health food store). Dissolve under tongue 4 or more at first sign of tingle and continue with 3-4 under tongue every 3 hours or so for a few dosages. Use pure aloe vera gel (health food store) on cotton swab to cover cold sore as often as needed to eliminate discomfort. Also helpful to take 1 tablespoon plus pure Aleo Vera gel internally every few hours. (11/27/2005)

By gs7

Cold Sore Remedy

Zylactin. Just tried for first time, dried up in less than a day. Scab almost gone after 5 (01/28/2006)

By foxtoy

Cold Sore Remedy

My mother has had them for years. She always uses a cold slice of a starchy potato. As soon as she feels one coming on she has it on the spot. It drys it up very fast. (01/20/2008)

By Heather, MO

Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎉
🎄