Coleslaw Tips and Tricks

A bowl of coleslaw.
making coleslaw doesn't have to be a time consuming chore. This is a guide about coleslaw tips and tricks.

For crunchy coleslaw, cut cabbage in half and soak in salted water for an hour. Drain well, then proceed with recipe.

Source: My Mom

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

How do I make coleslaw?

By Lynda from Bremerton, WA

The way I make it is the easiest(however some people say it doesn't count. lol) I buy a bag of the shredded cabbage and a bottle/jar of coleslaw dressing and mix the two together.

Here is a knock off recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken's cole slaw. It's from the Top Secret Recipes site. YUM!

http://www.tops … pe-Complete.html

The basics of the liquid for coleslaw is mayo or salad dressing, milk to thin it and a bit of sweetening, usually sugar. I cook mainly by just tossing stuff in, sorry can't give you extra measurements.

I'm like thrifyvicki, I 'toss' when I cook. Very seldom do I use an actual recipe. But, Cole Slaw is like potato salad! Everyone makes it differently. But one 'secret' that I've found over my 50 years of cooking is that if you'll shred your cabbage and carrots then add your salt, mix it thoroughly, cover it then let it sit in the refrigerate about two hours prior to mixing the other ingredient, the texture and flavor will be much, much better.

Shred cabbage, carrots, and onion. Mix together. In a jar put mayo, sugar, milk, a dash of salt and a touch of vinegar or lemon juice (for bite). I do this by taste. Shake it up and store in fridge. Shortly before serving add sauce to vegs so they don't get soggy. Everyone loves this.

Here's my super 'cheater' recipe: 1 bag of premade coleslaw mix (cabbage/carrot shred) 1 bottle of Kraft Cole Slaw dressing mix. Raisins if you want. Pepper. Toss the slaw mix w/ just enough dressing to coat, add in the raisins, as much as you like or don't, and some black pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Use Willach's recipe. I use Krafts salad dressing instead of mayo. These tips are important. Do not shread in the food processor. It shreads too small and releases a bitter taste. Slice the cabbage very thin or chop it. Second always use green cabbage. The big white cabbage is tough and bitter.

Sweet Cole Slaw

Shred cabbage and carrots in a food processor. Mix 1/4 cup cider vinegar with 1/2 cup granulated sugar until dissolved as much possible then blend in 1 cup real mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) regular or light, add a pinch of celery seed if desired and add cabbage to dressing to ensure a nice mixture. You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate. When ready to serve give a quick stir and enjoy Mine rarely gets too watery as I do not use salt. If it does spoon it off and stir and enjoy. Great on a Pork B-B-Q sandwich.