Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

I have been living in a different home with my daughter for six years. I am not legally separated from my husband. Can I get child support without a legal separation or a divorce?

Answers:

I would think as long as you are legally married there should automatically be some form of support. But if you have lived apart this long, why not get divorced? (09/25/2010)

By redhatterb

Each state has different laws. I would contact a lawyer. Someone at your town hall should be able to steer you to a cost free lawyer or call your state house and ask for there help to answer your question. That way you have the correct answer for the laws in your state. (09/25/2010)

By foxrun41

In some states, if your separation is legal, an order of child support will be issued at the time. My suggestion would be to file for divorce and get the order at the same time. But if divorce is not what you want, at least get the legal separation with order of support. His character is obvious if he isn't supporting the child now. (09/28/2010)

By Lilac

I found an awesome web site that has tons of info regarding child support and related topics! www.deadbeatdad.us (10/03/2010)

By namandaegg

Erin I am telling you this because I have seen it happen. You had better get a lawyer and get everything in writing. You and your husband may be on friendly terms now, but things could change and it could get ugly. I have a friend who separated from her husband and everything was fine for about 3 years then her husband got a girlfriend and then they decided my friend was not a proper mother even though the husband was living with his new girlfriend. They thought they would get the little boy. They were wrong, but it was a mess for my friend and the little boy to go through. So please get everything in writing for your child's sake. (10/28/2010)

By Teresa Kay

Paper art of stick figure man and woman with stick figure children separated by a torn dollar bill in the shape of a heart
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
Visitation Rights
Visitation Rights After Divorce - Questions and Answers
Torn Photo of Happy Couple
Divorce Tips
🎄