Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

College Graduation Gift Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
College Graduation Gift

Giving a useful gift can help a new graduate get started on their career. This guide contains college graduation gift ideas.

Solutions: College Graduation Gift Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Graduation Gift: Business Cards

This has become my favorite gift for graduating high school seniors or kids presently in college.

Have professional business cards made for them.

I came up with this idea while attending an Eagle Scout Career Day dinner in Washington, DC. My son was meeting business professionals who were serving as mentors for the 300+ Eagles attending the dinner. When one gentleman gave my son his business card, he tore a piece of paper then proceeded to write down his contact information. As a mother I was mortified because my son's penmanship is horrible.

A day or 2 later I got online and found a company which prints business cards quite inexpensively. (Some were even free if you don't mind the business name on the back.)

The card I designed has his university name as the header line, with his name, college major, cell number, address and email address. Now when he's meeting professionals while looking for internships, he has something presentable to give. It also makes a great first impression. (Note to Moms: Please make sure your child has at least 1 proper email address to handle professional mail. BigDaddy00001@yahoo.com and HotLegs21@yahoo.com aren't taken seriously in the business world.)

Source: My brain child!

By Pearl from Gaithersburg, MD

Tip: Gas Cards for Graduation Gifts

This year, I am giving pre-paid name brand gasoline cards to graduates. If I, as an adult am finding it hard to swallow the current gas prices, I can't imagine too much more welcome a gift for high school or college graduates who are responsible for maintaining their vehicle or paying for the fuel they use.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to College Graduation Gift Ideas.

Question: Inexpensive College Graduation Gift Ideas

Can someone help me choose a college graduation gift for my 21 year old son? I don't have a lot of money, so maybe up to $100.00 and that's pushing it.

By Kathie

Most Recent Answer

By LaNett Bartos04/02/2012

We have just saved money until they head off to school and then when we figure out what they need. We will go to walmart or where ever, and we buy what they need.

We have graduated 2 girls and our son this year and this is what has worked best for us!

Question: College Graduation Gift Idea

I would like help with gift ideas for a female graduate from university with a commerce degree.

By Sally from Saskatoon, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Suntydt02/13/2011

Here is a graduation package:
Give her a savings bond, a Walmart gift card and a letter of reference (personal reference for perspective jobs).

Question: Graduation Gift Ideas

A close friend of mine is graduating from IT college. But, he's been living on his own for several years so he doesn't need any household items. He is moving a month after his graduation, so I don't want to clutter him with more stuff to move! Any ideas on gifts I can give him that won't take up space in his moving van but will be useful or appreciated? Thanks!

By Freya1970 from Halifax, NS

Most Recent Answer

By RoseLeviosa06/08/2012

Money is really the best. My sister and I have both graduated in the past 2 years and each were given about $1000 in cash and a couple hundred in gift cards. I will tell you, it helps a ton! Especially if he is going on to more schooling. And that much came from mostly people giving us $20, and a few up to $150, so no matter what you can do, it will help him immensely. And of course a thoughtful card/note is lovely.

I have not read most of the responses but I just want to throw out; graduation theme gifts are very nice at the time, but a few weeks after graduation, mine went into storage. The graduation hype was over and I had no room. A few of the books are on my shelf still, but the frames, stuffed animals, knick-knacks are all tucked away in a box in my closet along with my gradation robes.

Hope this helps!

Question: Graduation Gift Ideas for My Niece

My niece will be graduating from college in a few weeks. What could I give her for a present? Over the years I have given her many picture frames, keepsake boxes, photo albums, journals, and address books. I don't think she wants any more of those. She has all the luggage and cosmetics cases she'll ever need. She uses her cell phone for a travel clock. Would a crucifix be appropriate? She wears one all the time. She also likes to travel(in the US). Is there something I could get her for that? I don't travel, I don't know what travelers use. Thanks for any suggestions.

Peanut from Virginia

Most Recent Answer

By AE05/23/2008

When I graduated, I was broke and had way too many things. I was really stressed out about money (will I be able to pay the bills between graduation and the first paycheck?). So money was really helpful. Ask her parents - if she has plenty of money then something more personal would be appreciated.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Graduation Gift Ideas

My nieces are both "graduating" this June--one from 5th grade (from elementary to middle school) and the other from 8th grade (from middle school to high school). I'd like to find some kind of gift for each of them, but something school or life related instead of another gift card to this week's popular clothing store. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to stay under $20 each. Books would be perfect, but all I can think of is "Oh, the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss and I'd like something a little more original.

Thanks!
Risabelle from Bingen, WA

RE: Looking for Graduation Gift Ideas

I looked through some College Survival Kits. Some were religious in nature with religious books and tapes. Others were fruit baskets or full of candy bars.

Here's another one I found to give you some ideas:

Brightly Colored Swing Bin (great for storage, or refuse!) filled with fun and delicious: a clock with feet, a computer bug clip, an excuse ball, a swinging monkey, IQ puzzle, stressed out person stress ball, keep smiling note pad, lip whistle, sniff tissues, floppy disc, bubble gum meter, cell phone air freshener and plenty of snacks (healthier options available) and candies to keep your student going! This bin is decorated with colorful ribbons.

It seems like my daughter needed some of the simple things: tape, stapler, scissors, shoe laces, highlighters, pens, pencils, notebooks. You cold also add some packets of cocoa, instant oatmeal, hot cider, fancy instant coffee. Just some ideas.

Here are some previous ThriftyFun answers for graduation gifts:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000515.tip.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000323.tip.html

RE: Graduation Gift Ideas

I received a Cross pen, engraved with my name, at my college graduation. Twenty-odd years later, I still have it. Nice to take to job interviews, etc. (06/01/2006)

By Campymama

RE: Graduation Gift Ideas

Get them a gift certificate to the bookstore and then go with them to pick out the books. Make an afternoon of it...get drinks and cookies (if they have them there) or go to a second hand bookstore and their money will go even further. Spend the day with them at the park and have a pinic. Take lots of pictures and scrapbook together. They will remember the memories of the time spent with you rather than getting more "stuff". (06/01/2006)

RE: Graduation Gift Ideas

For the younger graduates, I agree - something learning oriented would be great. How about a world globe? I always wanted one when I was younger.

Perhaps a gift card (and a ride!) to a book store so they can choose their own book?

A calligraphy set - more in the artsy line - can be great fun and teach penmanship. Girls, especially, love to write in "fancy" lettering.

One of the nicer art supply kits, with plenty of sketch paper may be a good way to go, too.

Good luck! (06/02/2006)

By slw1299

RE: Graduation Gift Ideas

How about a photo album or scrapbook kit? (06/05/2006)

By srhp69

RE: Graduation Gift Ideas

Most teens would enjoy a creative gift. Something that no one else got them. Like, I am graduating from 8th grade and I am giving my friends a "high school survival kit". I am including a GOOD scientific calculator, pens/pencils, notebooks, a planner, locker organizer, and a scrapbook with pictures and scrapbook stuff so they can record their high school memories there that they will experience!! But you could also include anything you want or have different themes for a kit such as "Summer Fun" or anything that you can think of! (05/20/2007)

By Kaitlyn

Archive: Graduation Gift Ideas

I have about 10 graduates this year. From granddaughter to church teens to college grads! Help, I am looking at about $300.00 in gifts.

Archive: Graduation Gift Ideas

I'm looking for some graduation gift ideas.

Archive: College Graduation Gift Idea

My brother-in-law's girlfriend is graduating from university and I need to get her a gift. However, she will be going straight to graduate school so a business type gift does not seem quite appropriate. Help! Thanks.

Jacqui

RE: College Graduation Gift Idea

How about a nice looking watch, a datebook, or music. When all else fails, a gift certificate. A wallet that is very business-like might be nice, too. Just follow her interests. (08/12/2004)

By Linda

RE: College Graduation Gift Idea

Besides the ones mentioned; how about some sort of book, on the subject of her interests, or just good fiction that you'd think she'd like. Or, you could go with a gift certificate to the local coffee shoppe, and/or with a mug. (08/15/2004)

By keyshawn