Browsing: College Graduation Gift Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

College Graduation Gift Ideas

Giving a useful gift can help a new graduate get started on their career. This guide contains college graduation gift ideas.

College Graduation Gift
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2008 Flag

My niece will be graduating from college in a few weeks. What could I give her for a present? Over the years I have given her many picture frames, keepsake boxes, photo albums, journals, and address books. I don't think she wants any more of those. She has all the luggage and cosmetics cases she'll ever need. She uses her cell phone for a travel clock. Would a crucifix be appropriate? She wears one all the time. She also likes to travel(in the US). Is there something I could get her for that? I don't travel, I don't know what travelers use. Thanks for any suggestions.

Peanut from Virginia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would say a gift card or money because they are useful, but if you want to give her something tangible or more personal maybe:

-something related to the career she will be starting

-a subscription to a magazine she likes

-a charm for a charm bracelet

-a cookbook or cookware if she will be moving out on her own

-a nice Bible or devotion book if she is religious

-tickets to something she enjoys

-if she is planning a trip somewhere then get a gift specific to the trip or a gift card to a restaurant or place specific to her trip

-if you live close then maybe an offer of night out to celebrate her accomplishments

Good luck selecting a gift!

I would buy her something she can use in her new career. Gary Dominicus

My daughter is also graduating from college. Her degree is a business degree and I too struggled on what to get for her. Finally I came up with the idea of getting her a crystal name plate, business card holder, and a cute little paper weight. It is shaped like a round diamond out of a diamond ring and I had her name put on the card holder and the paper weight. I decided on this because she will be able to take it with her if she changes careers and always have a keep sake from her parents with her at work as a reminder of how proud we are of her for her accomplishments. The web site I used to order from was www.wealthwood.com. Good luck

I think your idea of a crucifix (or any other kind of jewelry) is a great one. When I graduated, I received too many 'business' related gifts. However, my aunts and grandma gave me jewelry, which I treasured and still do.

When I graduated, I was broke and had way too many things. I was really stressed out about money (will I be able to pay the bills between graduation and the first paycheck?). So money was really helpful. Ask her parents - if she has plenty of money then something more personal would be appreciated.

May 1, 2009 Flag

A close friend of mine is graduating from IT college. But, he's been living on his own for several years so he doesn't need any household items. He is moving a month after his graduation, so I don't want to clutter him with more stuff to move! Any ideas on gifts I can give him that won't take up space in his moving van but will be useful or appreciated? Thanks!

By Freya1970 from Halifax, NS

How about a pre-paid credit card with a note congratulating him and saying that when he settles after he moves he may find something he'd like to buy that would remind him of you.

Restaurant gift cards in the town he's moving to so he doesn't have to cook while he's unpacking.

You could give a post card good for a batch of homemade goodies.

Get (or make your own) blank post card(s). On one side, you can draw a picture of cookies and include information that the post card is good for a batch of their favorite homemade cookies/brownies to be sent to him/her. Also include a line for the recipient to include his/hers favorite kind of homemade cookie. On the reverse side of the post card, in the "To" field, write your name and address, and place the correct amount of postage on it. Then the recipient fills out the post card and puts it in the mailbox. The rest is up to you!

I use this gift often for those hard to buy for friends. I generally will give 3 post cards as the gift.

Be aware that postage rates go up next week.

Also, if you are sending baked goods in the mail, make sure to send them out asap after making them, and send them Priority Mail to get there fast to arrive fresh. Pack them with care, with adequate cushion and so they can't move around.

Everyone loves a batch of their favorite homemade cookies!

Everybody has great ideas!

My recommendation as a recent college grad (at the age of 27), money is nice (no matter if it's $10 or more). Most likely the graduate has not had many vacations while in school, especially their last year.

I've put all my monetary gifts towards a long weekend vacation at a spa 3 hours from home. After starting a new job and finishing finals, I'm counting down the days until I can hop in my car and take off without worrying about assignments due, etc.

Money is really the best. My sister and I have both graduated in the past 2 years and each were given about $1000 in cash and a couple hundred in gift cards. I will tell you, it helps a ton! Especially if he is going on to more schooling. And that much came from mostly people giving us $20, and a few up to $150, so no matter what you can do, it will help him immensely. And of course a thoughtful card/note is lovely.

I have not read most of the responses but I just want to throw out; graduation theme gifts are very nice at the time, but a few weeks after graduation, mine went into storage. The graduation hype was over and I had no room. A few of the books are on my shelf still, but the frames, stuffed animals, knick-knacks are all tucked away in a box in my closet along with my gradation robes.

Hope this helps!

May 9, 2006 Flag

This year, I am giving pre-paid name brand gasoline cards to graduates. If I, as an adult am finding it hard to swallow the current gas prices, I can't imagine too much more welcome a gift for high school or college graduates...

June 12, 2008 Flag

This has become my favorite gift for graduating high school seniors or kids presently in college.

Have professional business cards made for them.

I came up with this idea while attending an Eagle Scout Career Day dinner in Washington, DC. My son was meeting business professionals who were serving as mentors for the 300+ Eagles attending the dinner. When one gentleman gave my son his business card, he tore a piece of paper then proceeded to write down his contact information. As a mother I was mortified because my son's penmanship is horrible.

A day or 2 later I got online and found a company which prints business cards quite inexpensively. (Some were even free if you don't mind the business name on the back.)

The card I designed has his university name as the header line, with his name, college major, cell number, address and email address. Now when he's meeting professionals while looking for internships, he has something presentable to give. It also makes a great first impression. (Note to Moms: Please make sure your child has at least 1 proper email address to handle professional mail. BigDaddy00001@yahoo.com and HotLegs21@yahoo.com aren't taken seriously in the business world.)

Source: My brain child!

By Pearl from Gaithersburg, MD

March 31, 2012 Flag

Can someone help me choose a college graduation gift for my 21 year old son? I don't have a lot of money, so maybe up to $100.00 and that's pushing it.

By Kathie

We have just saved money until they head off to school and then when we figure out what they need. We will go to walmart or where ever, and we buy what they need.

We have graduated 2 girls and our son this year and this is what has worked best for us!

February 13, 2011 Flag

I would like help with gift ideas for a female graduate from university with a commerce degree.

By Sally from Saskatoon, Canada

Here is a graduation package:

Give her a savings bond, a Walmart gift card and a letter of reference (personal reference for perspective jobs).

February 13, 2011 Flag

My brother-in-law's girlfriend is graduating from university and I need to get her a gift. However, she will be going straight to graduate school so a business type gift does not seem quite appropriate. Help! Thanks.

Jacqui

Answers:

College Graduation Gift Idea

How about a nice looking watch, a datebook, or music. When all else fails, a gift certificate. A wallet that is very business-like might be nice, too. Just follow her interests. (08/12/2004)

By Linda

College Graduation Gift Idea

Besides the ones mentioned; how about some sort of book, on the subject of her interests, or just good fiction that you'd think she'd like.

Or, you could go with a gift certificate to the local coffee shoppe, and/or with a mug. (08/15/2004)

By keyshawn

May 1, 2009 Flag

I'm looking for some graduation gift ideas.

March 26, 2008 Flag

My nieces are both "graduating" this June--one from 5th grade (from elementary to middle school) and the other from 8th grade (from middle school to high school).

March 26, 2008 Flag

I have about 10 graduates this year. From granddaughter to church teens to college grads! Help, I am looking at about $300.00 in gifts.

A girl who has graduated, wearing her cap and gown.
College Graduation Party Ideas
Mini Graduation Cap
Making Mini Graduation Cap Party Favors
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
Graduation caps thrown in the air after the graduation ceremony.Saving Money on Graduation Announcements,
Saving Money on Graduation Announcements
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 7:58:46 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.