Color Advice for Kitchen Countertops

I would like advice on counter top and wall color for my kitchen. The cabinets are cognac, appliances and wood trim are cream (bisque). The floor and back-splash are Terra Cotta. Most of my house has cream through gold walls. I am considering black granite with cream and Terra Cotta colored marbling. Thanks.

By Valerie from Monroe, LA

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

Grey or sage might be better. Black may be too much contrast. (11/02/2009)

By perfume and powder

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

A creamy yellow would go nice! (11/02/2009)

By av8rs3

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

Mostly anything will go with your neutral kitchen. The basic rule of decorating is to always go with a neutral color for things that are expensive or hard to change out (like large ticket furniture, flooring, cabinets and counter tops). Then give the room some punch with colors in the way of paint, throw pillows, rugs and doodads (things that are less costly and are easily switched out when you tire of the color or style). I would look for a black granite that has copper colored swirls, specks or veining in it. The copper flecks will match the tera-cotta without being to "way-out." Also, if you have stainless appliances, see if you can find a black granite that also has some silver flecks in it too. Everyone is going with stainless appliances these days, but I like black appliances with black granite.

Pick another color you that you really love to paint the walls. I'd go with green, any shade of green would go wonderfully with the terra-cotta. I, myself consider Green to be a neutral in a way, because it goes with pretty much anything because it's in everything in nature (grass, flower leaves and stems, trees, moss, etc, etc.) I'm getting the idea that you like to play it safe when it comes to color and green walls would be a way to give your room just a little bit of punch without going too crazy. Think, golden sage, light or medium olive or even hunter (dark blue green) or dark olive if you're looking for a deeper color. If you need sunshine, think maize, mustard, or a med beige with lots of gold in it.

For trim, white would be okay or a darker or lighter version of one of the other colors you mentioned. Add some punch to your room with a colorful kitchen rug, canisters, planters, a painting or print. These things are easy to change when you tire of the color scheme but will give the room lots of pizazz!

*And by the way, what color is "Cognac?" (11/02/2009)

By Cyinda

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I think you are right on target with choosing the black granite countertops with the marbling you've described. Every room needs a touch of black. It will help balance out the cream you have there. (11/05/2009)

By Carol in PA

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I like the black countertop, but would go with a sage green for the walls. Warm and inviting and it adds a different color to the room. (11/06/2009)

By Allison5

Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops
Granite Countertop
Choosing Granite Countertops