Color Bleeding When Washing a Quilt for the First Time

I have a neighbor who recently completed a quilt she has been working on for 2 years. When she put it in the washing machine on delicate cycle she had some red bleeding. She has made many quilts over the years and never experienced this situation. Any ideas to get out the red bleeding?

Marti from Venice Florida

Answers:

It sounds like she may have not pre-washed her fabrics before she began the quilt. Seems there may be some products on the market for that. I think I had read something about putting the article in a salt water solution to set the color. You might try doing a search online or find a quilt shop in your phone book and ask the experts. I'm sure too you will get more advice here at thriftyfun! Good luck to your neighbor. (09/05/2006)

By Debbie52

Shout makes spot remover in a cloth form. What you do is throw it into the wash. Hopefully she didn't put it in the dryer the first time, as the spots may be set in if she did. I am also a quilt maker and this is what I use. (09/05/2006)

By Chasha

Whenever washing a quilt for the first time, wash in cold water and add 1 cup of vinegar to the wash cycle. This will set the colors. I don't use fabric softener since some of them tend to stain. (09/06/2006)

By Anne Smith

Ever since "Color Catchers" came out I swear by them. Found in the laundry aisle. Worth the little extra $ to save lots of goodies, esp. when something slips into the wash you didn't know was there. I also use only cold water. (09/07/2006)

By aardvark

Woolite makes a product called Dye Magnet. It's disposable sheets that go in the washing machine which catch the dye. I hope your friend will be able to remove the bleeding color. What a shame.
(09/08/2006)

By Rosemary

I wasn't sure if salt or vinegar. Thanks for the info. (04/23/2008)

By hope

Closeup of quilt showing where red color bled into surrounding light colored fabric
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🎉
🎄