Coloring Hair at Home

Category Coloring
When dyeing hair there are a number of things to keep in mind so you get the results you want. This guide is about coloring hair at home.

I tie a plastic bag around my hair instead of using a shower cap when I dye my hair. Since bags are free, I don't buy shower caps anymore to let my hair set for 20 minutes when the dye is setting. Also using the plastic grocery bags comes in handy when you are on a trip and forgot the shower cap.

Just put all your hair on the top of your head, put the bag over it and tie it tight in the bag like we used to tie a scarf over our rollers in the old days. Be creative and use different colors if there is more than one person in the home who will be using them. When done, just pull off, tie shut with all the dye bottles, gloves, and box inside and throw away. No more mess and no more bills for caps.

By Kathy from Jefferson, LA

I've been doing that for years and all my friends and family are bag heads, too! Great Idea!

When home coloring your hair, cut a neck hole and arm holes in a large trash bag to protect your clothing.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

When I color my hair I do it in my underwear, and stay in the bathroom. It is more convenient for me to do this, because when it is time to rinse, I do it in the shower.

It takes my breath away thinking about how much money we can spend at beauty salons. I stopped going to get my hair dyed years ago. Now I simply buy my own at my local grocery store. I spend a fraction of the amount I used to. Not only that, I don't have to worry about not being able to get a convenient appointment time. :)
Try it, you will not be disappointed. You will also have more money in your piggy bank!

Source: Self

When coloring my hair I usually use an old towel clipped tight around my neck to keep the color from my shirt. I am a retired beautician and have the plastic apron but they get hot. Here is what I came up with that is way more comfortable and saves a towel.

Take an old t-shirt, lay it out flat and cut it out like a dickey only longer. I will make my next one the full length of the t-shirt so I can tuck it in the waist of my pants when I go to wash the color out. This one I had to clip to my shirt which worked OK.

Slit the 'dickey' up the back so you can overlap the two edges to adjust to your neck. Place a clip on your shoulder out of the way. Much more comfortable than that tight clip at your neck or that plastic band and you can throw it away or wash it reuse.

Of course you want to cut up the rest of the t-shirt for rags, lint free dust rags. The sleeve fits tight over a broom for gathering cobwebs.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I just wear an old black t-shirt when I color my hair. Simple!

Hair Coloring Reminder Date

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

First off, it has been years since I last paid someone to color my hair. I have done my own and saved money doing it. But, I needed a way to remind me when I last colored my hair.

Home Haircolor Tips

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I have long hair and after making several messes on the floors, walls and countertops when using home hair color, I have two tips that have helped me to keep things neat.

Just got a compliment on my hair color from a professional stylist with whom I shared my use of hydrogen peroxide for highlights and a mixture of red and blonde colored shampoo and conditioner.

Use A Shower Cap When Coloring Hair. I use a thin shower cap - like the kind you get free in motels/hotels to cover my hair when I apply colored shampoo to tint it. (Got that from a hairdresser who did that and put me under the dryer.)

I colored and conditioned my relaxed hair and all the color came out. What did I do wrong? I used a semi permanent hair color by Clairol and Tresemme conditioner.

did you use natural instincts? they've changed the formula recently and depending how old your box was they say to put on dry hair instead of wet-it's a big change

My hairstylist told me I should always use the same type or brand of hair color on my hair. I've been doing my own hair for years and always got whatever the best deal. It was usually free with coupons and sales.

Any suggestions on a brand to stick with? Cost isn't that much of any issue as I am sure I can find whatever brand for a great price.

Thanks.

By Mindy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Loreal is the best and they put a tube of deep conditioner in their boxes. The Feria by Loreal gives hair a more natural look I think. I love this one, the golden blonde.

So recently, about a month ago, I got my hair dip dyed blue. I had to use bleach as my hair is naturally a very dark brown. It has now unfortunately turned a weird ash greeny-grey colour and I really want to put a purple on the end of my hair now. I am wondering what product I should use. Would a colour remover work or would I have to go full on bleach to get it back to a light enough colour to put more colour on?
Many thanks.

When my son was dying his hair wild colours, we found good hair dye at places at like skateboard shops because the usual hair salons did not have those sorts of colours. If you live in a city, you may have salons that cater to wild colours. I understand what you are saying about the faded blue, as that happened to my son's hair as well after some time. Since the blue has faded, and some time has passed, it may be alright to re-dye your hair with another colour. I quite routinely colour my hair blond over my previous dye job, of the same colour, as I am lightening my hair and covering up grey. I do this every three months or so, occasionally oftener. To be safe, you should consult a professional hair stylist. However, if you are willing to live with more random results, and your hair is in good condition to start, you might just give it a whirl.

I am looking to color my hair dirty blonde, but I am relatively inexperienced. So if someone could tell me what hair color I should use, what technique, and how I should care for my hair after it, it would be great. Thanks.

I've stated before, I have nothing against people coloring their hair at home. Your case is an exception. This is not a do it yourself project.

ThriftyFun likes lengthy articles with much detailed information and quality pictures. Still, I don't think they would want to devote as much space as would be required to answer your question. Since you are 'relatively inexperienced', it would be a teaching seminar to say the least. And that is if your question could be answered. With the little information you provided, it can't. Would you be starting with virgin hair? Would you be starting with black hair? Auburn hair? light brown hair?

More than likely, your hair would require pre bleaching. This means applying bleach to the entire head excepting the one eighth inch closest to the scalp. Can you do that?

See what I mean? Get it done professionally and save yourself many tears.

I tried to go from a dark brunette to blonde using Clairol "born blonde" and the result was blond roots and the remainder is fairly dark orang(ish). I need to fix this asap! Do I need to go to a professional or just reapply the stuff? If I just reapply how long do I wait?
Thanks in advance!

It costs tons to have corrective hair color in a salon, so what ID do is buy a box to do just a strand test. Put it on your longest reddish hair from as close to the blond part without touching it. Make sure this is a strand of hair totally visible to you. Then look at your watch and time how long it takes, rinsing that strand soon as it at least comes closer to matching the roots. Then blow-dry that strand and see how much it's lightened when dry. Pull on it with your fingers to see if it's still strong. If it only took like 10 min ...I'd go ahead and get a new box and do it again, trying hard not to hit your roots. 10 min shouldn't kill the healthy root hair, but your trying not to make them even whiter. Like I said, that's the way I'd do it. Then condition your hair with the best !

I want to color my hair at home and i noticed on the box it says in BOLD print to apply on dry, unwashed hair.

What if there is gel and hair spray in my hair. It's not a lot, but I am thinking that might hinder the color?

Paula from GA

I never wash my hair before coloring. The natural oils in your hair actually help the color. Afterward I rinse it all out and then use shampoo & conditioner. I make sure I use a neutral color so I don't get any red or green highlights & also so my hair doesn't look dyed. I use a slightly lighter shade on only the top layers and it makes my hair look like it always has. Most people normally have 3 different colors in their hair, so I didn't want to have just one color, and the way I do it...it comes out looking totally natural. I have long hair and don't do the ends. I've been doing this since I found I had 3 gray hairs in my brown hair & no one can tell that I've been dying it. I use L'oreal Excellence or go to Sally Beauty Supply & get the 2 colors that I like there.

I started coloring my hair at home and noticed that the box came with gloves that were kind of loose. My question is: What other kind of glove could I use and reuse? Something that would be safe and not rip up my hair? I was thinking of those rubber ones from Playtex? Or would they be too hard on the hair and rip it? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I think any kind of latex glove would be fine, but I just use the ones that come. They are a bit lose, but I don't find that that is a problem. I think you can get boxes of gloves in a drug store if you need exceptionally small ones.

I colour my hair at home and it comes out OK. I am colouring to hide grey. I am still on semi permanent. I will evaluate continuing when it stops working for me. I am only doing the roots and I don't get that long before root re-growth. I am using Lorel Casting semi perm. I kept the bottle of mixed product in my cupboard with the intention of doing a little touch up in about 3-4 weeks. Has anyone here tried this or is it dangerous? I don't want to end up with green hair, although that is unlikely as my hair is black, or worse a nasty scalp injury.

Thanks for reading!
X Jen

Check the box. My brand states that you cannot save the mixture. It may be just a trick to make you buy more, or it may be unsafe to save. Sharon

I have naturally dirty blond hair. I dyed the tips bright red with Kool Aid. I want to dye my hair dark brown with a kit I bought from a local drugstore. I've done some research, so the kit I bought is top rated. Will my tips look weird if I dye them brown?

By E. J.

They might. Why not give it a week or two, and by then the colour from the koolaid should fade out, I would think. Another thing you might do is find the help line/Q & A section on the product you have. Email or phone the company, and they should be able to advise you.

I'm a dirty blonde that decided to dye my hair pink for Halloween. Now my dark roots are coming out and I want to dye my hair black. I'm afraid that it won't work out naturally. Will I have to bleach it to get it back to its natural blonde in the summer time or will it naturally come out?

By wild flower

If you dye your hair with a permanent colour, it will fade a bit over time, but it will not totally disappear. Hair grows about 1 inch per month. If you dye your hair black now, it will certainly not all be back to your natural colour by the summer. If you want lighter hair for the summer, you will have to either cut off the dark hair, or bleach it. If the pink has faded, you might try dying it a medium blond over top of that, or maybe a blond close to your natural colour, and then just let that grow out.

It has been 2 weeks and my roots are starting to show. Is it safe to reuse the remaining hair dye?

By JLH

if you did not mix the whole box of dye and kept the dye and conditioner separate you should be ok. I do it all the time as my hair does not require a full dye mix, it wastes it.

I want to dye my hair a burgundy color. My hair is already a dark brown/black-ish color. I'm just worried that it won't go back to normal. So my question is, will it?

Hair dye changes your natural hair chemically and permanently. You may be able to dye your hair a new color, but it will never return to the original natural color. The only way to return to your original hair color is to grow it out and cut off the dye areas.

I have natural dirty blonde hair. I do not want to permanently dye my hair, but I want to semi dye it. I did research and it said that it should come out with a couple of washes. I want to dye it a light brown and still have my blonde hair come back the same after a couple of washes. Will my hair come back the same if I use semi permanent dye?

Your hair should return to very near it's original color. It will not be exactly the same because certain components of the semi permanent coloring will remain in the hair. Also, most semi permanent hair colors gradually fade over a four to six week period, not two.

I am naturally a red head and I have been thinking about dyeing my hair. I keep seeing this new trend called opal hair and I'm in love. But my mother says that if I dye my hair it will never grow back to my natural red hair again. She says it happened to my cousin, but I don't know if I should believe her or not. If I dye my hair will it grow back my natural color?
This is a picture of my natural hair, I do have blonde in it from where I bleached it and put purple in my hair just over a year ago.

This is going to seem very petty, but here goes. My roots could really use a touch up, but I have poison ivy going on 2 weeks now. Since it is an immune system response, would it be safe to color my hair or might I enter the ninth circle of hell? The package instructions always advise doing a patch test before every application, so maybe this is the time to follow the directions. Anybody have experience with this particular issue?

By Marne

I would not mess with your poison oak/ivy at all! (Yup-much experience here!) You can try the newish root coloring products to help you hair til your PO/I runs its course.

I tried dyeing my hair red, like ginger, but it only dyed the roots and the rest is still brown. I went out and bought two more boxes. I need two because my hair is long and thick, and tried it again, but it stayed the exact same. Is it a good idea to go buy blonde dye to get rid of this nasty split colour?

By Brianna B.

I think, at this point, you need to consult a hair stylist to see what can be done about your hair. Repeated colouring your hair could damage it. Perhaps you need to trim your hair to get an even colour.

My hair is dark brown, I dyed it black with Ion permanent hair color to match my extensions. Now the black has faded to a color similar to my natural hair color, but it has red tones in it. How do I get the red tones out of the hair dye (which is now brown but was once black) or can I get the color removed? Will the color remover turn the dye brassy?

By Katy

To get rid of the red or lighten it you could get a toner or developer. Toner will make sure the color isn't brassy but it won't completely get rid of it. Developer will make the red fade slightly, but if you continue to use color treated shampoo or conditioner, it would help the fading process speed up.

The colour will not stay on my hair more than 3 days. What is the reason and how can I fix that problem?

By Supriya from Khopoli, India

What kind of color are you using. Hair dye is sold in permanent, demi-permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary. Some temporary products are designed to come out in about 1-3 washes (semi-permanent about 5 washes, demi-permanent 20-30 washes, and even permanent will fade over time). Make sure you are purchasing the right products for what you are looking for and following the directions regarding processing time, etc. If you want the color to last, look for permanent color and follow the directions carefully. If you buy your products at a beauty supply store, the staff should be able to help you.

Will I gt a better result if I cover my hair with a plastic bag to trap the heat when doing my roots from dark brown to Live xxl 00b max blonde?

By Khadija

Under the Clairol Professional booklet if using the Beautiful Collection Moisturizing color semi-permanent it says for long-lasting results with moisturizing color apply and cover hair with plastic cap. Process under warm dryer for 10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Rinse well. Do not shampoo.

My hair has been through a lot, I went from a natural dark brown to blonde, to auburn, to chocolate brown, to dark violet, to ombre, and back to dark brown again.
Now I want this light ashy brown and I'm wondering what color it would most likely turn out and if it will go green?

By Ally

There is no guarentee exactly what will happen with home hair dye attempts. You say that your hair has been through alot recently. I suggest you make an appointment with a hair stylist who specializes in hair dye. The stylist can examine your hair and suggest possible solutions. The best you can do at this point is have the stylist attempt to correct the damaged hair as much as possible and then apply new hair dye, if appropriate.

Load More