Composting Rabbit Litter

Category Cages
Cute brown bunny in rabbit cage with wood shaving litter
This is a guide about composting rabbit litter. Using a mild litter will allow you to use your nitrogen rich rabbit manure and litter as a mulch right away or you can add it to the compost pile.

I have several indoor pets that include 2 rabbits. I use cedar shavings in all the cages. When I clean the cages I dump the used shavings in my flower beds for mulch as well as fertilizer.

By kflawson from Bolivar, TN

Rabbit litter is one of those that can be used right away because they aren't "hot" like cow or horse manure.

My only suggestion is to look at a bedding other than cedar. While it smells nice, there are reports that the volatile oils that give it that nice smell is actually quite hard on a rabbits respiratory system.

I generally use pine or, even better if they aren't directly on it, something called ABM.

http://eaglevalleyabm.com/

My entire garden in several inches deep of rabbit manure and the squash and tomatoes absolutely loved it as did the flowers in the flower gardens.

I agree my rabbits manure is wonderful! I use it on my canna garden and they are so beautiful this year. The manure has a high nitrogen content, so research the plants you put it on first.

I'm using that paper litter called Care Fresh - it's great in my Tumbleweed composter!

I don't use that cedar stuff = I've read it's toxic to the animal and we sure don't want that!

Another litter that's great is Cat Country. It's alfalfa or wheat grass or something like that - golly, does the composter and garden love that!