Computer Is Running Slowly

My computer has slowed down to a crawl. My virus fail safe keeps shutting down and can not get in contact with the program. Any suggestions? I'm not computer savvy in many ways.

Rita from Meadville, PA

Computer Is Running Slowly

Every night before shutting down my Windows XP I use the Disk Cleanup on my desktop which cleans out all temporary files and cache.

If that doesn't fix your PC problems you might have to use the Disk Defragmenter. Click on Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter. Or if that doesn't work do a System Restore. (07/01/2008)

Computer Is Running Slowly

Lots of times we get spyware on our computers and we don't even know it's there. There are two free programs that I use regularly. They do a scan of your computer and detect and remove any spyare and/or virus threats. The first one is Adaware

The second is Spybot Search and Destroy

Run these programs daily and you will notice your computer moving much faster.

By atuck23

Computer Is Running Slowly

One important way you can prevent getting spyware/adware is to STOP using Internet Explorer as your browser. Opera is the best, most secure browser, and Firefox is a close second. Opera is the fastest of the three, least likely to slow down your PC.

Internet Explorer is notoriously unsafe, and it hogs your computer's resources, besides. The other advice posted here is good to try, too. Best of luck! (07/02/2008)

By Thrifty Gal

Computer Is Running Slowly

Go to and download all three of these programs: Spybot, CrapCleaner and Diskeeper. I've used them for a long, long time and run them at least two times a week and have no problems even though I use Internet Explorer. I can't remember offhand which program needs to be paid for but two of the three are free and all work wonders :-) You should be running very quick and easy after the first scans of each :-) (07/03/2008)

By Deeli

Computer Is Running Slowly

Be sure when you download Spybot, you download Spybot SD or Spybot Search and Destroy. It is the one that is free. The plain Spybot is not the same and it is not free.

Get AdAware - it is free and both it and Spybot SD will take a while to run.

The best thing to do to make your computer faster is do a good clean-up. Do a search on the C drive for anything that ends in .tmp - delete them. Then go to Control Panel open Internet Options and delete all temporary internet files (you can have thousands), delete all cookies, and clear history.

Do alt, control, delete and look at your task manager. Click on the processes tab, then click on Image Name to alphabetize the processes. Look to see how many IEEXPLOREs are running. Highlight each one and delete it. Sometimes Internet Explorer can run several times in the background and you don't even know it. Like a previous poster mentioned, use another browser like Firefox. Do not use Safari. The type will look good on screen, but it can mess up settings on your computer.

After you've done all that, open My Computer, right click on C drive and click on properties, click on the tools tab and then go to the degragmentation button and defrag your hard drive.

You should see a marked improvement in the speed of your computer. (07/03/2008)

By Noella

Computer Is Running Slowly

Do you have a lot of music and/or pictures on your computer? If so move them to discs or CDs. That will help, they can really slow your comp down. Also, remove any programs that you don't use.

Hope this helps. (07/04/2008)

By bailegirl

Computer Is Running Slowly
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Computer is Running Slowly
Computer Running Slowly
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks