Controlling Fleas in the House

How can I get rid of fleas in my house?

By jdunn1507 from Savannah, NY

Answers:

Controlling Fleas in the House

I would go to the Walmart or Home Depot and get a whole house fogger, specifically for fleas and ticks, they work on spiders and other bugs, too. Get up early one morning take the pets with you out somewhere or to board at the local kennel. As you leave the house set off the fogger (s) depending how big your house is, will determine how many foggers you may need, put them in central locations throughout the house so they can reach as many areas and different rooms as possible.

While your gone, at work, etc. the house will be fumigated. Come home open all the windows, put some fans in the windows to pull in the outside air and after about 10 minutes bring your pets back into the house. Also your local pet store or vet probably sells a premises spray to spray directly on your mattress, bedding, upholstery, under couches, chairs, beds, etc. follow instructions on can. Last, but not least, actually you should do this first before anything else, make sure you are treating your pets with Frontline, or Vectra or the like, every month, people can carry fleas and ticks into their homes on their clothing and even if you have an indoor pet, the fleas and ticks will jump onto the pet feed and breed, and your house will become infested.

My sister gets fleas in her house when she takes her infant over to a friend's house who babysits her child for her occasionally. The fleas come home on the baby's clothing or the baby's bag, and infest my sister's house and cat, because her friend doesn't treat her many cats with flea and tick product, so now my sister has to treat her cat for fleas, because the friend didn't treat her own. (08/25/2009)

By JAZZYJULS

Controlling Fleas in the House

First of all you need to get rid of the fleas outside. And then buy the flea bombs and use as directed. We control our flea population by spraying the yard in early spring and mid summer. We also flea bomb the house every year at the first sign of fleas. (08/26/2009)

By Debbie-Jenn

Controlling Fleas in the House

I place a small bowl with 1/4 cup of water in every room of the house by the baseboard electrical wall outlet. I put in a small sliver of soap with a teaspoon of bleach in the bowl. I plug in nightlights that I bought from the dollar store. The lights only have 5-7 watts so your electric bill shouldn't increase. I leave the lights on all day and night, and empty them every day. I usually catch 5-20 fleas a day, until the infestation subsides.

Also, it is very important to vacuum or mop the entire house every day to pick up flea dirt, which is really flea feces. A bucket of water with a splash of bleach is a miracle picker-upper for just pennies a day. (08/27/2009)

By Julius

Controlling Fleas in the House

How to get rid of fleas from your home without paying the exterminator costs. I adopted 2 cats that had a major flea problem, my house became infested with fleas and when I called the exterminator they said they would charge $400 to get rid of the problem. I found out some cheaper alternatives to get rid of my problem and they worked really well.

You will need:

• A vacuum cleaner that has bag- *Bag-less vacuums won't work for this.
  • At least 2 vacuum bags.
  • 2 flea collars.
  • 1 Gallon of Zep Ready To Use Flea Spray FSH-128 with sprayer nozzle
    or any home flea spray that has the chemical Permethrin in it.
    *This comes already mixed and does not need to be diluted and can be found at most hardware stores for under $15
  • 1 bottle of PineSol, any scent will do.

This is about a 2 week process depending on your home size, but trust me this really works.

First, move your children and pets out of the room in which you are working. Then you will need to wash all of your clothes with a cap full of PineSol added to your water. This is to kill off any pests that may be in your clothes or bedding.

Second, place a flea collar into one of your new vacuum bags and vacuum any surface you can. The flea collar will kill whatever fleas that wind up in the bag.

Third, spray your rooms down with the gallon of spray, let dry for about an hour
*Don't go overboard.
Then, vacuum again after the carpets and surfaces are dry.

You will need to vacuum and spray at least twice daily, and it is work, but you will reclaim your house back. When vacuum cleaner is not in use place it in a room that you are treating until the next use.

I would suggest changing the vacuum bags every 4 days or so. Be sure to place the vacuum bag into an air-tight container or bag before throwing out.

There are traps that work at night as well that won't break the bank. They are usually found at hardware stores and cost around $10. They are called overnight flea trap light. They are handy to have and really do work.

*Be sure to bathe your pets with flea and tick shampoo during this process and keep them in fresh flea collars. (09/15/2009)

By Laura06378

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Dead Flea
Controlling Fleas Indoors
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄