Converting an Oven Cake Recipe to a Microwave Recipe

Chocolate cake cooked in a mug
Some cake recipes are intended for making in a microwave, others can be adjusted from oven baking to microwave cooking. This is a guide about converting an oven cake recipe to a microwave recipe.

Can anyone tell me how to adapt a cake recipe made for cooking in the oven, to cooking it in the microwave? Due to egg allergies, my cakes are always recipes that are eggless and are very successful when cooked in my conventional gas oven. However, gas here has now doubled in price, which makes cake baking a luxury. I would prefer not to do without my cake fix! The only eggless recipes that I have found are chocolate and I love fruit cake and plain white cake. Please, can anyone help?

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

Anonymous
Best Answer

Cett, I did a lot of searching and unless it's a store bought cake mix that has egg alternatives with microwave instructions and using special microwave pans for baking I think you would have a disaster waiting to happen on your hands trying to adapt a regular recipe :-(

I know this might sound strange but if you could simply splurge a little bit and bake a white cake what you could do is put a slice of baked white cake in a bowl, top with some canned fruit and some syrup from the canned fruit on top and microwave for a minute or two. It really does taste good and is comforting! I do that, usually using peaches.

Another thing you could do is plan ahead and bake the cake just before or after baking another meal where you would be using less gas for baking because of the preheating time?

Best Answer

If you have an electric skillet, all you have to do is mix the cake according to the directions & place in your cake pan. Then, take four dinner forks, & place in the skillet, two on each end of where the pan will sit, this makes a rack for the pan to sit on. Then turn your skillet on 350 degrees, or whatever the cake mix says, put the lid on & time your cake just like if you were using the oven. I have done this many times when my oven was broke. The cake always turned out just the same as if I baked it in the oven. Hope this helps.

WandaA

Anonymous
Best Answer

Cett, I just found a link regarding egg substitutes for baking and it gives a few choices, one being pureed fruits. ;-)

http://www.buzz  ute-in-cake.html

I am wondering if you could use a crock pot to bake a cake. I have a friend that bakes her cakes in a cast iron skillet on top of her stove in the summer to avoid heating up her kitchen. Good luck.