Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

Does anyone have a recipe for cooking chicken legs (little drumsticks) on a gas grille? I have tried it several times but the outside of the chicken is burnt, and inside is still pink. I don't want a fancy recipe, just plain chicken legs on the gas grille. Should I boil the chicken first and then cook it on the grille? Thanks a lot for any advice and recipes!

P.J. from Delaware

Answers:

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I always partially cook my chicken in the microwave before grilling so it's cooked through. (06/12/2006)

By Eileen Celeste

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

Cook them on indirect heat. First I heat the entire grill. Then turn off the heat on the side where you will be cooking the chicken legs. Put a piece of aluminum foil that you have sprayed with PAM on that side and using tongs press it down into place.

On the side with the heat still on medium, place a pop can or soup can of water. Put your chicken legs on the foil and season. Then carefully spray the top of the legs (making sure spray doesn't hit the flame on other side). Close lid and cook for ten minutes.

After 10 minutes give the legs a quarter turn(using tongs) reseason where needed and spray again. cook another ten minutes with the lid closed and continue to do this untill cooked on all 4 sides.
the chicken will cook all the way through and be tender and juicy (06/12/2006)

By brenda thompson

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I've always boiled mine for 15-20 minutes first. (06/12/2006)

By lkoenig

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

If you have a microwave oven you could sear them on the grill and finish cooking them in the microwave. I do this quite often by mistake! LOL. (06/12/2006)

By johnsonya

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

Use the gas grill to "smoke" them. Only light one burner (left or right), put foil on side of grill you're not using, soak smoking chips (you can buy in grocery store and hardware stores) and place chips on side of grill that is lit. The chicken will cook slowly, inside will not end up raw and skin will crisp. (06/13/2006)

By Val Reynolds

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

Any bone-in chicken that I grill, I boil first so that it is cooked to the bone. My favorite and easiest seasoning is to marinade the chicken (after boiling) in Italian salad dressing. (I marinade a few hours or overnight.) Then grill the chicken--it is so delicious! (06/13/2006)

By glowgirl

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I grill mine for a while so they get that wonderful flavor, then I put in a casserole dish with some BBQ sauce and place them in the microwave. They come out tender and juice, not to mention done. While the chicken is in the microwave, hubby is grilling everything else, and I'm in the kitchen getting everything else ready. When the rest of the food comes off the grill, all's ready to eat. (06/13/2006)

By susanmajp

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

We don't have a gas grill, but often grill chicken on our charcoal grill. We recently did 2 cornish hens. The secret we have found is to cook them indirect and keep the cover on until they are done, no peeking at all! We cooked the hens for 1 1/2 hours and they were perfect! Moist and cooked all the way through. (06/13/2006)

By Marfette

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but the secret to cooking great chicken on a gas or charcoal grill is in controlling the fire temperature. You need to turn the temp down to a low level to begin with and cover so that the chicken is not dry. If your grill isn't equipped with a lid, then you can also cover the entire top with aluminum foil that you can peel away and replace after you turn/check the chicken. You don't turn the fire up to actually brown the chicken to a deeper brown (if this is totally necessary) until the inside is cooked dry of blood. BBQ chicken on the gas grill tends to have a different texture to it as well, since it will more than likely will not naturally sear like on a charcoal grill. It's also not unusual for chicken to take about thirty five - forty five minutes to cook on the grill if done correctly with patience. (06/13/2006)

By NHysHands

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

We microwave chicken before grilling it, but boiling would work too. We have never been able to grill raw chicken and have it cook on the inside before burning it on the outside. (06/13/2006)

By Debbie

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I always boil mine as a sure way to the chicken being done. If you over boil, they will fall apart. I wouldn't boil mine anymore than 10 minutes after the water starts boiling and NEVER leave the chicken in the boiling water, immediately take them out. (06/13/2006)

By Faith28

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I cook mine without skin for twenty min and it should work well and I cook it on medium. (06/22/2006)

By Morris

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I take my chicken breasts and or legs and then place them into the microwave for a total of 4 minutes and 30 seconds. After which I then place them on aluminum foil on the gas grill (very low setting) and then cover then with Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar and BBQ Sauce with Honey. I then turn the chicken every 10 minutes for a total of 50 minutes. I then take an orange Bell Pepper cut it up and place the pieces on the chicken for the last 10 minutes. Oh so good! (07/05/2006)

By Kiss The Cook

Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

Turn your heat down. Apparently the heat is too high causing the meat to burn on the outside and raw on the inside. Don't boil or microwave as this alters the taste of the chicken. Also, if you are BBQing the chicken, wait till the chicken is done before you sauce it. Sauce one side, turn sauce the other side, let cook on low heat. Repeat these steps a few times and your Bird will be delicious. (01/06/2007)

By John

Chicken Leg Recipes
Chicken Drumstick Recipes
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Repairing a Gas Grill
Repairing a Gas Grill
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄