Cooking TipsFood Tips

Cooking Turkey Breast and Sweet Potatoes

Is it OK cook to cook them at the same time? What is the best way to cook a 7lb. turkey breast and sweet potatoes at the same time?

I would not cook them in the same pan together. They would pick up the taste off of each other. Also depending on the size, the potatoes would probably be done cooking before the turkey. And, you will need to baste the turkey and you don't want the basting on the potatoes. I have been doing my turkeys lately in the electric roaster.

The sweet potatoes can be cooked in the same pan, if you like the flavor of the turkey gravy. They also will be much softer and easy to mash than if you had roasted them separately. I like the Reynold's oven cooking bags or my oval crockpot to cook the turkey. In the oven it takes about 2 1/2 hours and 5-6 hours in the crockpot. Sliced sweet potatoes would only take 25 minutes or so, so add the sweet potatoes later on if you do decide to cook them together.

Actually, a lot of food tastes very good when cooked with sweet potatoes and they are one of the healthiest foods around (even for our animals). Even pot roast with sweet potatoes is usually a raved about dish at our house.

Turkey breast (7-9 pounds) (cut in half if large) can be rubbed with your favorite spices and cooked in a Dutch oven on stove top or oven or even in your crock pot. I like to add cut up apples, cubed onions and sliced or just cut up (1-2) sweet potatoes; add 2-3 T oil and make sure turkey temperature reaches 165 degrees F  about 2 -3 hours (more in crock pot).

I cook all of my ingredients together (just baste but not stir - optional).

definitely the time differential between when the turkey v/ the sweet potatoes would be done would be the biggest consideration here, for you do not want dried-out turkey or undercooked potatoes! I have at times made stews, though, where I let all the ingredients cook for a very long time, to the point the sweet potatoes would turn to mush and everything overall would thicken. Usually in those scenarios I add legumes, then potatoes, then other veg, then I will either add in the meat if I know I will let it simmer for hours or cook the meat separate then add it, also a ton of spices, seasonings, etc.