Cooking With Butter

Cooking With Butter
Some cooks prefer cooking with butter, rather than margarine or shortening. This is a guide about cooking with butter.

When a recipe calls for an specific ingredient like "soft butter or margarine" it doesn't usually mean the kind that you get in the tubs that are easily spreadable. It means sticks of margarine or sticks of butter. By substituting the tub butter or margarine, your recipe won't turn out correctly, as they have a lot of water in them.

By Terri from NV

I'd like to flavor a fried cabbage and onions dish with butter, but do the actual cooking with olive oil. How little butter can I use at the very end and still give it some flavor? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Holly from Richardson, TX

I personally like to use buttery flavored cooking spray. I've heard it may be sprayed on popcorn or veggies for a buttery (but less fatty) flavor. There is also an olive oil spray. Wonder if a combo of them would get the result you seek. Guess experimenting in the kitchen is the answer. Enjoy!

Holly,

How about butter flavoring/extract? It's really good to add a rich buttery flavor to all kinds of dishes and baked goods, so it might be worth a try. I'm an Independent Watkins Associate, and Watkins is known to have one of the largest selections of extracts and flavorings (some of the more interesting ones being Cherry, Mango, Orange, Peach, Peanut Butter, Raspberry, and Strawberry). Of course our Double-Strength Vanilla is the most popular (specially formulated with a low-alcohol content, so the flavor doesn't bake or freeze out).

If you'd like a catalog, let me know, or you can browse online at http://www.WatkinsOnline.com.

Trudy Powell

Independent Watkins Assoc. #357561

http://www.mo3bk.com

trudypowell@sbcglobal.net (request a catalog)

Hi Holly.

I use about one TBLS of butter when I cook Cabbage that way. I allso like to leave the butter out and put in the same amount of low fat cream cheese. Or even sour cream. How ever you cook it try grating some nut meg onto the cabbage while its cooking.

Good luck. Peter. In New Zealand