Cooking With Cast Iron Pans

I have a cast iron pan that has been around for many years. It is very well seasoned and I don't clean it with soap, just hot water. But after making ground beef with chili seasoning or any other meal with a lot of spices, (stir fry, fish) the aroma stays in the pan.

If I want to make pancakes or grilled cheese or anything that would absorb the prior seasoning, I first take some canola oil, or butter if I am making pancakes or grilled cheese, heat it up in the pan and then use a paper towel to wipe out the hot pan. This absorbs most of the seasoning aroma and only a few times have I had to do this twice. This method keeps the pan well seasoned but removes aromas that would transfer to whatever I am cooking. Just be careful as the pan will be hot!

By Cindy from Spokane, WA

Answers:

Cooking With Cast Iron Pans

Just an interesting item. I have heard that the use of iron karhais (something like a wok) in Indian cooking prevents anemia as a certain amount of iron is absorbed into the food. (06/20/2007)

By Grandma H

Cooking With Cast Iron Pans

My mom has had the same cast iron pan all my life. I love borrowing it. She uses dish soap to wash it but she dries it on a hot burner.Maybe that will help your problem. i've made cake and meat loaf in it often and everything comes out delicious. (06/20/2007)

By Rubyred777

Cooking With Cast Iron Pans

To clean I would Never use soap on cast iron pans just water and elbow grease. Next time you bake put it in the oven. When seasoning comes off smear on the lard-shortening cooking oil to refresh the pan. I have been doing this for 50 years. Cast Iron is forever!(02/10/2009)

By Jerry