Cooking With Crackers

Category Cooking Tips
Crackers
Crackers can be used in many ways in your favorite recipes. This is a guide about cooking with crackers.

Christmas is just around the corner, and this is an inexpensive and easy candy recipe. Kids love it! Adults do too.

Crackers of all kinds, plain or sweet, salted or seasoned in other ways, can be ground in a blender or placed in a plastic bag and rolled with a rolling pin to give you crumbs to use in meat loaf, meatballs, chicken croquettes, fish patties and for a variety of toppings for baked vegetables, meat pies or puddings.

The addition of slightly sweetened crackers often gives a good taste to a ground meat dish.

By Joesgirl

I once tried these incredible cookies. They were made with soda crackers, the soda crackers were place on cookie sheet as one layer, then they took something and poured it over the crackers. I think it went in oven, then once out of oven they put a bag of chocolate chips on it and spread. They were so good. Does any one have the recipe? I would really love to try to it.

Thank you in advance,
nmcl

Go to www. recipelink.com. In the search type in Imitation Skor Bar Toffee Bars. I'm sure this is what your're looking for.

We have a link here for those:

http://www.thri  f234225.tip.html

Toffee Treats

* 1/4 Box Saltine Crackers

* 1 Cup Sugar

* 1 Cup Butter or Margarine

* 1 large bag Chocolate Chips

* Chopped Walnuts-Opt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Grease with butter. Cover with saltine crackers. Bring 1 cup sugar and 1 cup butter to a boil & continue to boil for 2 1/2 minutes. Pour over crackers & spread fast. Bake 5-7 minutes. Spread a large bag of chocolate chips over, like icing. Top with chopped walnuts if desired.

I've made these or at least a similar recipe and they were very good.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Pine Bark

Paula's Home Cooking

35 saltine crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

5 (4-ounce) milk chocolate bars, broken into pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan with tin foil. Lightly spray foil with a non-stick cooking spray.

Place saltine crackers, salty side up, in prepared pan. In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Pour mixture over crackers and bake for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven, top with candy bars, and spread evenly as chocolate begins to melt. Cool slightly and transfer onto waxed paper. Allow to cool completely.

is this alec baldwin's mothers recipe???

she was on the rosie show one time and she made them -i think-------

where do you buy soda crackers. they are not the same as saltines but i cant find them. are they a brand.??

INGREDIENTS:

35 soda crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

1 cup packed brown sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 15 x 10 inch baking pan with foil and grease it well. Line the pan with soda crackers.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and cook stirring it until it dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately pour mixture over the soda crackers.

Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to bubble. Spread the chocolate chips over the hot cookies. Let set for a minute. Spread the chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with nuts. Let cool, then cut into bars.

Hi Sandy,

For me the name Soda Crackers and Saltines have been interchangeable. They are the same thing.

Susan from ThriftyFun

they are called brissle bars

line cookie sheet with foil and grease it.

line crackers on foil.

1 CUP. BUTTER COOK IN SAUCE PAN TO

1 CUP,SUGAR ROLLING BOIL THAT CAN'T

BE STIRRED DOWN.

POUR OVER CRACKERS BAKE IN A 350 OVEN FOR 10 MINUITES IF CRACKERS SLIDE OR OVER LAP SLIDE BACK IN PLACE COOL 5 MIN.

POUR CHOCOLATE CHIPS ON TOP LET MELT SOME AND SPREAD ONTO BARS REF.FOR 2 HOURS . BREAK INTO PIECES AND STORE IN CONTAINER.

I printed this recipe from yesterday`s newsletter. I do have a question .The recipe calls for "1/2 box of raisins" What size box?? Would it measure out 1/2 cup, 1 cup or....?

Years ago I believe this was referred to as "War Cake" here in Canada. Thanks

Editor's Note: It looks like a box of raisins is 9 ozs. I think that would be slightly over 1/2 cup of raisins. Susan

We called them Butterfly Bars, since they always FLEW off the tray quickly, but I have misplaced the recipe. The best I remember is that "one MUST use

Parkay Margarine, and NO OTHER BRAND", which I ignored and regretted, and which coconut was added instead of chocolate. If I find the recipe before Christmas, I'll post it. They were so delightful that folks were nearly fighting over the last ones AND the last printed recipe in the stack I made for them. : )

Many times I see recipes, which I don't try out, calling for Ritz crackers or saltine crackers. Here in Europe, crackers are what you put cheese and a cocktail onion on top of and spear it together with a cocktail stick to serve as party snacks. They are salty! Yet in the U.S. you seem to use them in sweet recipes. Am I getting this wrong? Can somebody please enlighten me? Thank you so much.

By Cettina

Hi, Cettina! How is Malta?

Lots of Americans use crackers for cheese and other savory treats too. I think that crackers are used to add a crunch without extra sugar or nuts. They are pretty bland so will absorb whatever flavor you put with them and will stay crunchy or soften easily, depending on how you cook them. I believe that it has roots in Depression cooking from the 20's, with recipes like Mock Apple Pie (which is just crackers in crust with pie spices, but is supposed to be pretty close in taste to the original.

I think that most recipes call for a little bit of salt, like in breads and cookies (or biscuits for you folks :), so the saltiness isn't a problem as extra salt isn't added. Saltines are basically flour and salt, and Ritz are just a buttery version of this. We also have a tradition of sweet and salty snacks, like caramel corn, spiced nuts or chocolate covered pretzels.

Personally, I haven't made any of these recipes because I am sort of a "from scratch" snob but I think that they should be tasty enough. There is a chocolate covered Ritz with peppermint, which is supposed to emulate Thin Mint Cookies that I'm always tempted to try around Christmas.

Let us know if you try any of them and how they turned out. I'm interested to see what our other members have to say about this seemingly strange American addition.

It is the sweet and salty factor! yum! My favorite thing that I make every Christmas is Ritz crackers with peanut-butter dipped in Chocolate. (the kind that hardens) you make a sandwich out of the cracker and pb then dip it into the chocolate. It is the best thing you have ever tasted especially if you love peanut butter.

Like the other lady said usually crackers take on the flavor of whatever you are putting them in. Have you every had a chocolate covered pretzel? If not they usually sell them at Starbucks, if you try one you will see the salty and sweet factor can be very harmonious. Experiment! You will never know if you like it or not if you don't every try it!

RE: Crackers in sweet recipes called Toffee Chips use a cookie sheet with raised edges. Cover the bottom of pan completely with saltine crackers. In a pan put 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar--boil this mixture 4 min. Pour over crackers, spreading over all crackers. Bake 5 min. at 350 degrees F. Oven should be preheated. When 5 min is up remove from oven and spread 12 oz. choc chips over all and sprinkle finely chopped nuts over all. Put in freezer until frozen. Break into small pieces to serve Keep unused pieces in freezer. Enjoy!

Hi Jess! Here in Malta the weather is warmish - about 72 degrees, sunny and beautiful, makes me feel a bit guilty listening to the news of countries which are snowed under and miserably cold! It does get very cold at night - coats, gloves and hats are necessary, but the daytime is lovely! Anyway, I have finally understood the concept of the saltine/ritz cracker business. Basically they are the same as what we call "cream crackers" in Europe so now I can go ahead and make my recipes with the correct substitute. Thank you all so much for your input. It's much appreciated.

Hi, I just made a recipe of the "Rolo Turtles" and they turned out just as the recipe on the bag said. I'm tempted to use Hershey Kisses next time as DD is not fond of caramel. I also made a crockpot full of chocolate covered peanuts. And it is very good. So easy and it made about 130 pieces, but using a teaspoon instead of the tablespoon I used the recipe says you can get up to 170 pieces. Which I will do next time.

Happy Holidays everyone. GG Vi