Cooking With Eggs

Category Eggs
Brown eggs in a carton
Eggs are used in a lot of recipes. This is a guide about cooking with eggs.

Save cooking time and pans, by cooking pasta and eggs at the same time. Place pasta in boiling water, and disperse pasta so the noodles do not stick together. Put the in eggs from the fridge, and return pot to a boil. Then shut off heat. By the time the pasta is done cooking, your eggs will be done too. One pot, two foods cooked.

Source: A co-worker taught this to me.

By soyzicks from HI

To make quick diced eggs, take your potato masher and go to work on a boiled egg.

By Peggy

To eat eggs or not? Also, a secret to storing them. Since the early 70's, people have been debating whether or not eggs are bad for you and believe it seems the jury is still out. According to a study funded by the National Institute of Health, 1 egg per day is unlikely to have a substantial impact on the cardiovascular health among healthy men and women. From what I have read, the small adverse effects of cholesterol in an egg is counterbalanced by the nutrients. These nutrients include: B vitamins, antioxidants, folate and unsaturated fat.

Here's your insider secret to picking fresh eggs:

Look the other way when your eggs expire! It's true. If you buy federally graded eggs before the expiration date - you can use them safely for the next 3 to 5 weeks. This information was found in a Healthy newsletter I subscribe to. So enjoy a egg they are so inexpensive and good for you!

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Editor's Note: There is a great difference between the normal eggs sold in the grocery and farm fresh free range eggs. To read the dramatic difference go to:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs

When a recipe calls for eggs it usually means large eggs. If you use small eggs, just add an extra one.

By Ardis

In order to prevent adding a bad egg to your ingredients, crack it into a separate bowl first. This is a guide about cracking eggs into a separate bowl.

Egg cracked in a bowl.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was making scrambled eggs one morning. As I put the empty eggshells aside, I noticed that each one dribbled egg white. Curious, I ran my finger around the inside of one of the shells. To my surprise, there was a lot of egg white still left in the shell. About a teaspoon, in fact.

I have been buying size large eggs, but now I'm switching to size medium. When I get all the egg white, it's just like the larger size! I know this only saves about .20, but if you buy a couple dozen a week, that's over $200 a year.

If you practice enough little tips, it can really add up. I love having a savings account!

This is a guide about making fried eggs. Fried eggs are an easy, quick part of any mealtime fare.

Egg frying in Teflon pan on gas stove.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When making noodles or anything that needs eggs, let them sit on the counter until they are at room temperature. This makes everything blend and roll out better.

After cracking an egg, always run your finger in the shell. You'll be surprised how much egg is left in the shell.

Eggs are an important ingredient in cooking or baking. What tips do you have for using eggs?

I add a tablespoon or so of mayonnaise to my omelet mixture. It helps to make them fluffy.

- Susan

I like my poached egg whites firm. I add salt to the water before putting in my poaching trays.

- Susan

When you have egg yoke stuck to a plate for easier cleaning, first rinse it with cold water. Hot water cooks the yoke to the plate which makes it much harder to wash off.

- Marianne

Easy cheap meals with eggs.

Eggs, used but not abused, are a fine source of protein.

Fried egg sandwich. Fry one egg, and put it between two slices of bread. My husband thinks it is best with mayo, but I think most people prefer ketchup. I like it best with grape jelly! For extra sauce, while you eat, contemplate that this is a meal mentioned in literature about the Depression, and other stories of people going through hard times. It is too nice to reserve just for hard times! Serve with at least one vegetable or fruit.

Renewed left-overs. Beat one egg and mix it with about half to one cup solid leftovers. Pour into hot frying pan, and turn over until egg is cooked. Serve up hot with a slice or two of toast. If your leftovers don't have veggies, serve them as a side dish.

Fish patties. Take one can of generic mackerel. Drain, reserving liquid. (Wastefulness is not nice or smart.) If you have instant potatoe flakes, mix that into the liquid until it's thick -- if not, use flour. Now, add some garlic, black pepper, and perhaps some celery seed or dill seed, and mix in one egg. A bit of chopped onion, celery, and/or pickle is nice too. With a fork, flake the fish, and add it all, including those bones (they are soft enough to chew up) to the batter. Taking a heaping tablespoon, shape into patties, and fry until golden brown on each side. Just like meatloaf, this is great hot or cold. That's good, because unless you have a large family, you will have left-overs. Serve with a starch and at least one fruit/veggie.

Egg-whisk soup. In any hot broth, slowly pour in one beaten egg, whisking it as you pour. This will produce fine strands of cooked egg. You may add finely chopped or cooked vegetables, chopped cooked meat, noodles, left-over rice, whatever. Be sure you balance the protein with starch and fruit/veggie.

Egg salad sandwich. One hard boiled egg, mash with fork. Mix in salt, pepper, and mayo. For the best taste, add finely chopped pickle, onion, celery, or olive. Makes at least one nice sandwich. I rather like to put this in a pita, but I love it on an onion kaiser roll. Also works well on crackers. Add a side of fruit/veggie.

Please note. Most Americans eat far too much protein food. One egg is a whole serving of meat. One 8oz glass of milk is a whole serving of meat. One slice of cheese is a whole serving of meat. One 2oz piece of steak, about a half-inch thick and as long and wide as a credit card is a whole serving of meat. Thus, a quarter-pounder with cheese is almost two days' worth. You only need two or three servings per day. You need about four to six servings of starch -- rice, noodle, potato, or bread. But the 'five a day' of fruit and/or vegetable is just the bare minimum.

For optimum health, you need two or more helpings from the fruit and vegetable group with each of your three squares. If you are hungry between meals, want more on your plate, whatever, eat more fruits and vegetables. Go for the most color -- intensely colored fruits and vegetables have more life-giving vitamins. If you get several colors daily, you will almost certainly get a good combination of vitamins and minerals.

Rose B, mother of three, in NC

By guest client (Guest Post)

When boiling eggs add a little bit of salt to the water to make the shells more firm. Bring to a boil for about ten minutes and turn off heat and let set about 3-5 mins. Rinse under cold water and peel. The shells should come right off, leaving you with a beautifully smooth egg white. Wonderful for deviled eggs!

**We started raising our own chickens last year and found that fresh homegrown eggs have firmer shells and do not need the extra salt in the boiling water for boiled eggs. Otherwise, your shells sticks to the egg and makes the job harder. Same will happen if you add too much salt to your boiling water.

buy them on sale & break them into a container & freeze them - if you want to freeze for using in cake or other - coat a muffin tin with some butter & freeze them individually then remove them from the tin & put them in a bag & store until they are needed

I have a container full from summer when I got them for 50c a doz ! I had NO idea what I might need them for but I have them for when the occassion arrises !

To stretch scrambled eggs try adding cottage cheese...taste great....creamy too!

eggs are important for everything.

baked eggs

butter the insides of your muffin tin

break one egg into each hole

break 1/2 slice of day old bread onto each egg - pour milk into a glass for easier handeling

& top off each egg/bread with milk (powdered will work as well) dot the tops with butter salt & pepper - bake about 30 mins at 325 F

so very very delicious - especially with salmon patties & cottage cheese !