Cooking With Teflon Cookware

Category Kitchen Tools
Teflon Pan
There are a number of things to keep in mind when using this nonstick cookware. This guide is about cooking with Teflon cookware.

I just bought a new Teflon grill. How do I season it? Do I heat the grill? How hot?

By Ron H.

Surely there were directions with it. Normally you do not season teflon. You may want to add a little oil before cooking depending on what you are making.

I agree with Lilac, there should be instructions on whether or not you need to season the grill. If you can or do, DO NOT use nonstick sprays like Pam etc. as they will break down the nonstick properties of the teflon surface making it useless. Most manufacturers warn against it.

My big question is: if you have gone to the expense of purchasing Teflon surfaces, why would you need even a little oil or other fat? I've always thought one of the reasons behind getting and using teflon is to help cut back on fat in your diet. What I do is add a little water, juice or broth instead.

Maybe you have this teflon pan confused with a cast iron pan which you do season but certain cast iron products are pre-seasoned & I have never heard of seasoning a teflon pan before. Check again to see if you have teflon or cast iron. If cast iron, I am sure there are tips on this site to tell you how.