Coping With Severe Back Pain

Category Home Remedies
Man at computer grasping his back in pain
Back pain can be very debilitating. In addition to medication there are exercises and other coping mechanisms that you can try. This is a guide about coping with severe back pain.

My son has been diagnosed with two ruptured disks. The orthopedic doctor told him he had 3 options:
(1) Live on meds.
(2) Have a procedure done with an injection in his lower spine (think it was cortisone).

(3) Have surgery.

He choose option number two with the injection. Three days ago he had this procedure done and was told he should see results in 2-3 days. It's day 3 and now he was told it may take up to a week. He has to return to work tomorrow night; working on his feet and doing some heavy lifting.

He gets very little sleep because of the pain and nothing over the counter works. The pain management doctor "will not" prescribe him pain meds; wait a week the nurse says. It seems these people don't understand or simply don't care that some people have to sleep and work and it's very difficult when you're in so much pain.

Now that he as been to this pain management doctor the orthopedic doctor won't be involved in his treatment. I'm very frustrated at the pain management doctor as pain management is her specialty. As a mother it kills me to see my grown son in so much pain.

My question is: Did you have a ruptured disk and what treatments did you find helpful? Did you see a chiropractor?

By Betty

Best Answer

Talk to people who have had the surgery. I had it. They have marvelous procedures now. You will need to see a good neurosurgeon who has done the surgery many times. He should not fear it because he will be so much beter off afterwards.

Best Answer

Each case is different and there is no easy fix. No two cases are alike. See a top notch neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon, a neurologist and a physical therapist-best to go to a spine center at a top notch university where they work together. Do your research on line. do not take the advice of non medical people who do not know what they are talking about. Read Read. he should use ice and heat and yoga and stretching-go easy. Optimum weight is vital. No smoking. Walk 20 minutes per day until he has his evaluation. Get all his records and MRIs and x-rays together to see your doctors. If you feel as if the doctor is not listening or is dismissive speak up or walk out and file a complaint. Nurses and other patients are good sources to find a caring competent doctor. Do not give up.

I can't sit, stand or drive my car without severe lower back pain which includes sciatic nerve pain that radiates all the way down my thigh, calf & foot. This has been going on for several months. My doctor says it's some kind of disc problem. I am looking for any tips that may have worked for you to decrease your lower back pain or sciatica as well as any exercises (physical therapy) that have helped you.

I've recently started swimming and going in a hot tub with a temporary gym membership and this seems to have helped a little. I also use alternating cold & hot packs. I have no medical insurance and can no longer work because of the pain. Any tips would be very much appreciated and if you know of any exercise or physical therapy that I can do at home I would greatly appreciate the time it takes you to post a reply.

Answers:

Severe Back Pain

I have a ten's unit, gotten from a physical therapy doctor that helps me. I also found a exercise that helps me. Lay on your back, with your knees up and bent. Raise your right leg up bringing your ankle up so it is over your left knee. Then using your arms to help, pull your right leg up off the floor. Only a short ways, as you will feel the pull on your sciatic. Reverse to the other leg. Start out slow, but this does help me. (04/02/2009)

By noriemong

Severe Back Pain

My brother crushed a disk in his back and the way he fixed himself is to lay on the floor at night while watching TV or when you are in pain, put your butt against the couch and your calves on the cushion. This takes the pain away and the pressure on the nerve and disk. He also got the inversion boots and hung upside down for 30 minutes. This took about 90 days to do and the doctors said he would not work again and he went strong for many years after that.
I hope this helps. (04/03/2009)

By mrb1957

Severe Back Pain

I have suffered the same and ended up with surgery which was the absolute best thing I ever did. Life is now pain free. However, I have some permanent nerve damage as a result of waiting too long. Several toes and the outside of my right leg are numb; luckily this does not limit movement. I would suggest sleeping with several pillows under you knees. This reduces the stress on the back and allows the vertebra to open up.

Also lying flat on your back, bend knees and one leg at a time pull knee to your chest. This will also open up the spine. If pain becomes so intense as to limit your ability to move (I was dragging one foot) please find a way to see a neurosurgeon. The surgery itself is a one day stay in hospital and may even be outpatient by now (I had mine done 10 yrs ago). With no insurance, most hospitals will have some type of what they call charity care to help with payment. (04/03/2009)

By dymondl1l

Severe Back Pain

Lie on your back on a bench, bring your knees up to your chest for about 20-30 seconds, get up and walk around at a good pace for a minute or two, repeat until pain diminishes. Repeat two to three times a day. Physical therapist had me do this and it helped a lot. (04/03/2009)

By alnal

Severe Back Pain

(posted via email)
I would suggest that this person look up acupressure points. There are several. You just need to find the one that works for you. I use it on a daily basis. It is safe, can be used anywhere and doesn't cost a cent.

Barbara (04/03/2009)

By jess

Severe Back Pain

I started to take 3 fish oil tablets a day and noticed a remarkable difference. I've had 2 back operations. (04/03/2009)

By rascal_50

Severe Back Pain

I have suffered with back ache for years. I went to several neurosurgeons, and they all wanted to operate. I have 3 ruptured discs L4, L5, and S1 and spondololathesis. One doctor wanted to put a 6 inch rod and 6 screws in my back and I heard similar answers from every doctor. I tried everything, chiropractors, acupuncture, massage, exercise, and rehab. The pain was unbearable at times. I found an answer that works. Look up "prolotherapy" on line, and find a prolotherapist.

I went to Cherry Hill, N.J. I had 5 sessions and I am pain free. I suffered migraines for 35 years and back ache for the last few years. I have not had a headache for almost a year and I have no back pain. Prolotherapy is injections of sugar water with a touch of lidocaine and it causes your body to inflame, and then your body starts the healing process, strengthening ligaments and tendons. Do not have surgery. I also had hip pain and pain down my leg and numbness in my foot and was told by doctors that I would never get the feeling back in my foot. I have no pain and my feeling has returned. Prolotherapy is your answer and your insurance should cover it. I had to meet a deductible. (04/03/2009)

By Maureen

Severe Back Pain

A friend of mine was in an accident and was in and out of the hospital several times with slipped discs (she now has 4). She did physical therapy which helped a little and uses a tens unit, but still had to rely heavily on drugs for pain relief. She felt she was becoming addicted to the drugs so she started researching on her own and found a book called "Treat Your Own Back". It really helped her. (04/03/2009)

By dw76

Severe Back Pain

EFT! MSM! I suffer from a great many issues and whiplash is one that has always been a factor of pain for nearly 20 years. MSM is not expensive, especially if you fill capsules yourself plus I have found the mg to be higher than already filled. EFT, is like acupuncture though you TAP instead and then there is TAT which is similar. www.tatlife.com, www.emofree.com. Both have free manuals and videos. Youtube.com has many teachers like Brad Yates and Robert G. Smith, also www.eftexpert.com. This literally has taken away pain in seconds, it really works and if you really have an open mind about the human body you will find this very enlightening and fascinating. You may even able to walk away from medications. I only use MSM and EFT! I hope you enjoy. Please get the word out. Thank you and happy freedom to you and your back.

Mista (04/07/2009)

By sparklejunk

1
I have pain in my back that seems to start in the lower back and goes up to the middle of it. I have no pain radiating down my legs. My husband can squeeze my back (like a bear hug) and get my back to "pop" and it does provide some relief. If I walk (say I go grocery shopping), after about 5 or 10 minutes my hips start hurting, then my back hurts.

I also feel like something is "pushing" on my back and making something hurt inside of me. Almost like whatever is out of place is causing some pain in my upper torso (inside). Rest and certain kinds of back popping seem to be the only thing that helps. I can take aspirin, Tylenol, Advil and the pain does NOT stop. It will subside some, but doesn't stop.

I saw a physical therapist twice a week for a month and learned back exercises. I do my back exercises around 3 to 4 times a week. They also do not seem to help or make any difference. I like the exercises, but they don't fix the original problem. I think something is misaligned.

I have slight scoliosis in my back (since I was a teenager). Awhile back the chiropractor told me that I have some arthritis in it (when I was in my late 20s). To me, this doesn't feel like arthritis. It seems to hurt when I move certain ways. Like my hips or something is out of whack.

The physical therapist did put my pelvis back into place and that did remove a lot of the pain. But I'm still having some pain. When I sit in a computer chair I feel like my back needs to be popped. I go for a walk and after a few minutes, my hips hurt then my back starts in. It's really starting to stop me from enjoying life.

I'm only going to be 40 this year! I'm not that old! My question is this. Who should I see about this? A chiropractor? My regular family doctor again? Should I go back to the PT (physical therapist)? Maybe I should go to someone else? My husband had a herniated disk and saw a neurosurgeon for it. I do not think I have a herniated disk though. I think something is just "off".

Please help! I feel like a 90 year old and a 90 year old probably doesn't hurt as much as I do. Thanks!

Misty from Ohio

Answers:

Severe Back Pain

My husband just had major back surgery for spondolithesis. His legs were not working right and his feet were numb and toes wouldn't lift up. He started with a neurologist who eventually sent him to see an orthopedic surgeon. Everyone told him not to have surgery but we found out after the fact that he was very close to being in a wheel chair if he hadn't had it taken care of. Right out of surgery there was such a difference. He could move his toes and besides the surgery pain, he felt better. It is going to be a long recovery but worth it for him to be able to live a more normal life. Be careful of chiropractors. In some cases they can really help but they can also hurt if you don't know for sure what is going on in your spine.
Karen in Port Clinton, OH (03/19/2009)

By hairyjoe

Severe Back Pain

I have rods in my spine, chronic pain from nerve damage caused by waiting too long to see someone, and chronic headaches. Please find a good chiropractor. With your scoliosis you should be VERY cautious about home treatments. If he/she is not able to help with the pain then go to a pain management doctor. I hope you feel better soon. (03/19/2009)

By Bethmom1961

Severe Back Pain

From someone who also has back pain, hip pain and more, I would suggest an orthopedic Dr. Mine did x-rays and an exam. I would start there. (03/19/2009)

By dbleoangel

Severe Back Pain

I used to have horrible pain in my back. I had lots of other symptoms that indicated a systemic yeast infection. I recommend that you try a good candida cleanse (available from any health food store) and follow an anti-candida diet for a couple of months to see if that makes any difference before doing any kind of major invasive procedures like surgery. A candida cleanse will not hurt anyone at all. If anything, it would make any necessary procedures a lot easier to recover from. I recommend Prescription for Nutritional Healing (a big book you can get at Sam's, Wal-mart, Amazon.com or a health food store). This is where I began my road to recovery from yeast. Made all the difference in the world! (03/19/2009)

By mizzoumom

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.