Corn Dogs

Homemade corn dogs are the best. You can use your kids favorite brand of dogs or even use cooked sausage of choice. What is even better, is that you can vary the recipe. For example, add some chili powder, mustard powder, paprika, or whatever you like to the batter. You can even add well drained relish, or chopped and drained pickle to the batter.

Another thing that takes some dexterity but makes a very good dog, is to take a slice of cheese, wrap it around the dog, and press the edges together so that the cheese stays put. The warmth of your hand will help make the cheese stick together, but be careful to not rip it. Then dip your cheese dog in the batter, and cook as directed. But be sure to warn people to let their corn dog cool down a little, or that cheese is a hot mess!

• 1 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 10 hot dogs (those little cocktail franks are really good this way as finger food or a canape)
  • oil for deep enough to float your hot dogs

Directions:

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl, big enough to dip your hot dogs. Cut the shortening in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk. Add them to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Pat the hot dogs dry with paper towels. Dip them in the batter, coating evenly. Drop one or two into the hot oil. Fry until golden, about one minute on each side.

Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with mustard for dipping. Enjoy!

Servings: 5 - 10
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: about 2 Minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

My hubby and I love corn dogs, but I've never made them at home. I don't do a lot of deep-fat frying, but here lately, I've decided that we deserve some nice fresh French fried chunky potatoes. We neither one care for the fries at the fast food places the kids love, but we're going to eat more real potatoes and they're going to be deep-fried too. I may as well learn how to make good corn dogs.

Thank you so much Barb. I think I'll love those little cocktail wieners as corn dogs too, and love any corn dog dipped in mustard. Now, I'm hungry.

Thumbs Up!

Pookarina