KitchenDecorating

Covering Ugly Rental Countertops

I am moving into a new rental apartment this summer, and the kitchen is covered in hideous green laminate tile. I'm looking for a way to cover up the tile on the countertops (that's right, they used floor tiles on the countertop!) without damaging or removing them. I know that contact paper is a good way to cover linoleum, but I don't think this will work as the grooves between the "tiles" create an uneven surface. Any ideas?

-Desperate

Have you considered talking to the landlord and negotiating with him / them to install a decent countertop? If you do the legwork and find out the cost, including installation, you could offer to pay, for example, an extra $5 / month (thus paying for the countertop if you're there long enough)? The only other options I can think of involve doing it and paying for it yourself. Inexpensive options would include home builders' recycling stores if you have such a thing where you are. They might have pieces of laminate you could hire someone to cut. Another option would be to buy backsplash tile which will leave you with the problem of filling in the spaces between the tiles. Investigate epoxy resin and find out if it's food safe?