Covering a Lampshade

I painted my living room lamp burgundy and dry brushed the design in gold. I also painted the shade a brown. What a mistake. I am thinking about covering the shade with wallpaper (damask print) in burgundy and gold.

My living room colors are a really nice creamy gold (not yellow) with one wall in wine. I have medium beige carpet and wood floors as you come in the front door. Any other ideas for the lampshade?

By dr0725 from Belle, WV

Answers:

Covering a Lampshade

Gold fabric is really nice, because it gives off such a wonderful, candle light-like glow (either real gold, like lame', or a gold-toned fabric, maybe with a bit of a shimmer). Burgundy is pretty dark, so it will not give off as much light. You could also use a dusty rose damask/brocade (fabric). If you do choose wallpaper, then light will only come out the bottom and top. If you choose this way, why not punch little pinholes all along the wallpaper design so the light can trickle through? (08/12/2009)

By Cyinda

Covering a Lampshade

I've seen lampshades that are covered with ribbon. Just purchase a spool in a color you like and wind it around the shade top to bottom, starting at the top and just keep looping it around the shade until it's covered then glue the end piece in place. (08/14/2009)

By chef4u

Decorating LampShades to LookOutdoorsy
Decorating Lamp Shades
Sweater Covered Hanger
Making Covered Hangers
Japanese reed mat
Making a Tatami Wall Hanging
picture of a dusty lampshade
Cleaning a Lampshade
Lampshade
Repairing a Lampshade
🎉
🎄