Covering a Wing Chair

Category Furniture
wing chair
The unique styling can make it difficult to cover a wing back chair, either to protect the upholstery or cover some damaged areas. This is a guide about covering a wing chair.

Anyone have any ideas on covering a wing chair? It has wooden legs and exposed wood on the arms and across the top of the back cushion. I can't upolster it and I've never made slip covers. I do love the look of slipcovers so I priced having one made. $300 just for the labor. UGH. As far as I am concerned that's just a little pricy. I can't imagine when I add the cost of fabric. I need help!

Valery from Cranford, NJ

I bought a wonderful slipcover for a wing chair at Overstock.com. I think it was $40, but shipping is always $2.95 or sometimes free. You can also check Ebay. Its not worth making a slipcover when you can get quality ones online...

Have you checked www.surefit.net? They have wingback chair slipcovers for $70 and up. I've seen SureFit products at some retail stores like Linens and Things. In New England, Ocean State Job Lot sells discontinued SureFit products and my daughter got wingback covers for $19.99 each!

I have a wonderful quilt thrown over my wingback chair until I can afford to have it recovered. I love the wood so much that it is worth it to me to have it recovered and putting $20 in the fund will get me there sooner than if I bought a cover.

I hope to have enough by Sept so it will be pretty again by next thanksgiving.

Love & Prayers,

Linda

I made a paper pattern literally tracing out the the entire chair. Mine have wooden legs as well but I skirted my slipcovers. (adding on that measurement to the pattern) I bought canvas drop cloths much cheaper than fabric by the yard and a nice heavy quality. I like that I made separate cushion covers instead of the generic slipcovers than cover the whole chair with one piece. The zipper on the cushion was a bit tricky but I am not a master seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn't all that difficult.

I bought a stretch pique wing chair cover from Surefit for a second hand wing chair purchased at a consignment store. You just won't believe the wonderful fit it gives. You'd swear it was made at the factory that way. There's no need to purchase a new chair. The stretch pique fabric makes any chair look amazing. The fabric even follows the curve on the front of the chair. It washes and dries beautiful. Just make sure the valcro tabs are together before laundering. Otherwise, the valcro will pull the fabric.

Does anyone know where I can buy a slipcover for my wing chair that does "not" have a T-shaped cushion? The chair is made by PA House and has a square cushion.

Contact your local upholsterer and ask them where you can purchase this.

Also, here are some links that may help:

http://www.home  nsylvania_house/

http://www.john  use_gallery.aspx

I do believe I have seen them in the JC Penney catalog. Good luck!

Did you ever find a slip cover for a wing chair with a square cushion? I need to find one too.