Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder

Fabric crafters often have a large stash of scraps in need of a project. This is a guide about craft ideas using scrap fabric.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Making Little Fabric Bags

Small fabric bags made from fabric scraps.Are you a sewer or quilter? Do you have lots of small pieces of material left over? Don't throw them out, but recycle them. You can make fabric bags in various sizes to use for gift bags, jewelery, cosmetics and even to put your keys inside your handbag so you can spot them quickly when needed. I have made many of these little bags over the years.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

• piece of cotton fabric
  • string, cord, or twine
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • iron

Instructions:

1. Just cut a rectangle shape any size you want, fold in the sides and iron, then fold down the top edge and iron.

2. Slip a cord or twine under the top folded down edge.
  3. Sew along the top to encase the cord or string.
  4. Then fold bag in half with wrong side out and sew down the sides and across the bottom.
  5. Turn right side out, tie two cord ends together and you are done. See picture.

By Linn from Nova Scotia, Canada

Craft Project: Fabric Grocery Bag

Here is a homemade reusable grocery bag with matching coupon holder.

Approximate Time: 2 Hours

• one yard material
  • matching thread
  • any decorations
  • applique'
  • sewing machine

Instructions:

body of grocery bag: 23x15 inches.
lining: 23x15 inches
strap: 15x4 inches
pocket (if desired) 5x5 inches square

Lay out material and cut out body of bag. With contrasting material cut out lining and straps.

Fold bag, right sides together, sew sides, at bottom of bag, sew corners, 1 inch, cut off access.

Sew lining the same as the body of the bag.

Fold the cut straps of contrasting material, in half, sew along one short end, and along side, turn right side out, press, sew other strap the same.

Leaving body of bag wrong side out, insert into lining, making sure the seams are together.

Insert straps, 5 inches from side of bag. Sew along top of bag, leaving 5 inch opening for turning.

Turn bag, hand sew or machine sew the opening.

The bag is now done. Craft Project: Fabric Grocery Bag

For the coupon holder

Using 1/2 yard of material, cut 23x20 inch piece of fabric, if desired, use contrasting material.

Sew the front and back together, fold 1/4 way up the front of the piece.

Sew each end, turn, sew up the middle of the pocket.

You have 2 pockets for holding your coupons.

By Barbara from Spring Hill, FL

Craft: Fringed Fabric Bird

Fabric bird.Here is a fabric bird lined with dryer sheet and fringed with beads. The photo shows the craft clockwise from start to finish. The top left shows the pattern made from a recycled greeting card, shows the dryer sheet before the bird was cut out with the fringe sewn into the the middle of the sheet (it is folded over to be double thick). The bottom left displays the finished craft.

This takes at least 1 dryer sheet and a scrap of fabric. I folded my dryer sheet but use two sheets if you think your fabric is a little flimsy. Optional: beads, fringe, tassel.

Trace the pattern onto the dryer sheet as pictured. You may use my pattern to make this if you like. Be super thrifty using a small piece of tape to hold the paper to the top of your screen and trace the shape directly with a pencil. You can go over the pattern lines with a darker ink or marker if you want to. The light from the computer screen makes a good lightbox for tracing patterns!

Cut a section of fringe or other trim to fit the underbelly of the bird. Stitch it onto the dryer sheet as shown.

Lay your fabric onto both sides of the dryer sheet and stitch all the layers together. (I handstitched mine.)

Carefully clip the excess fabric from around the bird on the outside of the stitching.

Optional: glitter glue the edges or over the top of the stitches and other details of the bird. For example: yellow/brownish colored beak, or maybe you want your bird to have beads for eyes, or maybe a small tuft of feather (swipe one from your duster) sewn into the birds head.

You could use these in many ways:

• gift topper
  • tree decoration
  • window decoration
  • whimsy for anywhere

I think it might also look cute in the back of a pinned up hairdo, maybe fastened onto a barrette.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Tip: Craft: Fabric Letters

Fabric LettersThese DREAM alphas were made from an old shirt I liked the print too well to toss it into the "rag bag". Letters were cut from inexpensive stencils after laying a dryer sheet onto the cloth and then tracing the letter onto it (instead of onto the fabric) and stapling both parts together before stitching.

Next, trim the stitched pieces around your marked line as close as you wish without clipping into your stitchwork. The staples are easy to remove, also they are better (in my opinion) than pins. I suggest using a double layer of the dryer sheets (.01 cent a sheet here) but they are slippery when trying to align the parts and hard to work with.

Come up with any combination that works for you : seasonally or thematically, use names or places, let your imagination work for you !

Source: An online craft blog but not sure what one - I look at a lot of them when I can

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Tip: Coasters Made From Old Shirt

I loved this print and really could not feel right in not making a nice little craft from it so I decided on coasters! The pattern was cut from paper left from a sheet of stickers which was high gloss and somewhat waxy so it will last a good long while.

I made the shape of a leaf I hand drew and traced around it for a set of 6 coasters (12 total leaf shapes) They are double lined between front and back outsides with lavender scented dryer sheets (100/$1) and hand stitched. I might decide to improve on these and machine stitch them for durability later. We shall see!

Source: frugal lessons learned

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Craft Project: Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder Don't throw out those small pieces of fabric that are leftover from other projects. Save them for new projects, such as this cute pencil holder made from a tin can.

Approximate Time 30 minutes

• empty, clean tin can
  • paintbrush
  • fabric scraps
  • scissors or pinking shears
  • craft glue
  • water

Instructions:

1. Mix equal parts craft glue and water. Make sure mixture is paintable, but not too thin.
  2. Cut pieces of fabric into squares with scissors or pinking shears.
  3. Decoupage the can by painting a small amount of glue mixture onto the can.
  4. Apply a fabric scrap and paint more of the mixture over the top of the fabric and smooth it out.
  5. Repeat this process, overlapping the fabric scraps so that none of the can's surface shows through.
  6. Let dry completely before using.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric.

Question: Making Fabric Appliques for Craft Projects

How do I make my own appliques, from fabric, for my sewing projects? I am trying to make them for purses, bags, etc.

By Marilyn from SW Ontario, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer 07/28/2010

I use fusible webbing which is a paper-backed stuff you iron on the reverse side of the fabric. Once it is cool, you peel away the paper and it leaves you with an iron-on fabric which is also stablized for sewing.

Question: Scrap Fabric Craft Ideas

Easter basket craft.Other than blankets and bags, what else can I make using old scrap fabric? Keeping in mind I am not a fancy seamstress. lol! For example, I made these Easter baskets from scrap fabric and old dishpans. I have 4 kids and they love homemade things.

By Judith Q.

Most Recent Answer

By melody_yesterday07/03/2012

I have been weaving a lot of scrap & fabric cut from old clothes. I cut it the same as I would to braid it or crochet it.

You could get rocks or buy the polished stones at the dollar type store & cover them- either hand-stitch it on or glue it. Place in pots or in garden.

Cover some regular common ink pens with it - either sew it on or sew a tube to fit it in or glue it on.

Try pinterest dot com for scrap fabric usage ideas.

Question: Crafts Using Fabric Scraps and Yardage

I am looking for ideas (with instructions) for crafts and other uses for fabric (large yardage to scrap-sized pieces). Thank you and God bless.

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Erin81301/25/2010

Thanks so much, ladies! Your ideas are great, and it helps restart my brainstorming for a bunch of vintage fabric that was my late Mum Mum's and some of my own fabric.

My church has a sewing group but they don't accept fabric, so thanks for the Christian site, user "Salpif"!

To "Kffrmw8," I have a 2-year-old daughter, Taylor, a 1-year-old son, Luke, and a 2-year-old niece, Juliette who are wonderful, by the way. (You nailed that one when you said daughter and niece- how did you know? lol). I made Taylor's doll a dress before and have ideas to make dress-up clothes for the girls, but yours help a lot! ALSO, thanks for the rag rug idea, too! I didn't know it can be that simple! Thanks again! Yay!