Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric

Fabric crafters often have a large stash of scraps in need of a project. This is a guide about craft ideas using scrap fabric.

October 12, 2016 Flag

I had a storage cube that I was using for my pills and vitamins. I also had a lot of long fabric strips. I put the two together by trying bows through the holes and the result was a fluffy version of what I had before. I love it.

I tied on a handle and to give it some "shine" or "bling" I tied a beaded glasses string onto it that I no longer use. I thought it was so pretty I wanted to share it with my ThriftyFun family.

October 13, 2015 Flag

I didn't have a handkerchief or tissue handy when I needed them the other day, so I used an offcut of flannelette from sewing. It was really soft and easy on my nose, which was sore and chapped from much blowing. I shall store my bits of flannelette in the medicine cupboard for future reference now, always assuming that no-one uses them to clean or dress injuries!

Sounds excellent. I have to use handkerchiefs due to an allergy. I keep searching for soft materials. I did not think about this material, although I know how soft and easy on sore noses it is. I will get some and make my own handkerchiefs.

June 28, 2012 Flag

Are you a sewer or quilter? Do you have lots of small pieces of material left over? Don't throw them out, but recycle them. You can make fabric bags in various sizes to use for gift bags, jewelery, cosmetics and even to put your keys inside your handbag so you can spot them quickly when needed. I have made many of these little bags over the years.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

1. Just cut a rectangle shape any size you want, fold in the sides and iron, then fold down the top edge and iron.

2. Slip a cord or twine under the top folded down edge.
  3. Sew along the top to encase the cord or string.
  4. Then fold bag in half with wrong side out and sew down the sides and across the bottom.
  5. Turn right side out, tie two cord ends together and you are done. See picture.

By Linn from Nova Scotia, Canada

And, if you don't sew (or are too lazy to drag out the old Singer) Fabric Glue works just as well!

December 30, 2009 Flag

These DREAM alphas were made from an old shirt I liked the print too well to toss it into the "rag bag".

Fabric Letters

May 7, 2008 Flag

Don't throw out those small pieces of fabric that are leftover from other projects. Save them for new projects, such as this cute pencil holder made from a tin can.

Approximate Time 30 minutes

1. Mix equal parts craft glue and water. Make sure mixture is paintable, but not too thin.
  2. Cut pieces of fabric into squares with scissors or pinking shears.
  3. Decoupage the can by painting a small amount of glue mixture onto the can.
  4. Apply a fabric scrap and paint more of the mixture over the top of the fabric and smooth it out.
  5. Repeat this process, overlapping the fabric scraps so that none of the can's surface shows through.
  6. Let dry completely before using.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Beautiful! Great idea!

I have so many containers I can do this with! Thanks!

January 5, 2010 Flag

Here is a fabric bird lined with a dryer sheet and fringed with beads. The photo shows the craft clockwise from start to finish.

Fabric bird.

March 17, 2009 Flag

I have a ton of fabric pieces in fairly large sizes. I purchased a ton of them for using as clothing on my sculpture art dolls, I'll never be able to use it all up on those! I am just learning to sew on my machine. I would love to use them up in sewing projects. I have two daughters so it would be great to get some easy sewing ideas to create some fun things for them.

Wow thank you all so much! Ha, ha I love the pet scrunchie idea too we have a chiuahua lol would be so cute. :) and love the idea of getting my girls involved in the sewing. my grandmother taught me a little when I was young, but we never had much time for her to teach me. So I just got the basics, she passed away three months ago at the age of 93 so she never got the chance to finish teaching me. Now it's up to me to learn and to pass it on to my girls :) Thanks so much everyone for the ideas! I so appreciate it :)

Hey I love scraps, you can make anything: Barbie clothes, Barbie beds, etc. for the girls. Sew a bunch of scraps together any old way then cut in squares and flip them around to make a new design. Sew them into pillows, bags, Christmas presents. Go to the library (I learn better when I can see how it is done in a book), there are tons of books about what to do with scraps. Don't give up sewing! I'm just back to it after 35 years and really love it. Good luck!

PS: some people make quilt-like greeting cards out of scraps!

Sounds like everyone is like me and has lots of scraps, maybe we aren't using our scraps because we are tired of them, after all we worked with them once. Do we need to trade some of our fabrics around, I for one would be willing to discuss ideas on a fabric exchange.

Perhaps we could make small panels of those scraps a certain size and trade if your scraps are really small. It might give someone without a machine a chance to make patchwork projects in exchange for some fabric they have or something.

Something to think about, might get some interaction going in communities.

July 25, 2010 Flag

How do I make my own appliques, from fabric, for my sewing projects? I am trying to make them for purses, bags, etc.

By Marilyn from SW Ontario, Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'll be glad to answer your question. I've been sewing now for 45+ years and have never bothered learning how to sew on appliques until just very recently. I had to set aside my sewing projects since my sewing machine is now in the shop being repaired.

A friend of mine told me that she's made her own appliques by using a cookie cutter as a pattern. Also you can make your own patterns by using a child's coloring book. My friend also advised me not to use the iron-on adhesive since it doesn't hold up with frequent washings.

Save all your small pieces of fabric for making your appliques.

Here are a few websites to get you started. The only thing different that I don't do is use the iron-on adhesive. I pin the applique to my fabric, then I set my sewing machine on straight stitch and sew all the way around the applique close to the outer edge. Then I remove the straight pins, and set my machine on the satin zigzag stitch and sew around the applique.

I use fusible webbing which is a paper-backed stuff you iron on the reverse side of the fabric. Once it is cool, you peel away the paper and it leaves you with an iron-on fabric which is also stablized for sewing.

April 24, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about using fabric selvage edges for crafts. When saving fabric scraps for future craft projects don't neglect the selvage edges. They can be used to make projects with a really unique appearance.

sewing machine

June 26, 2012 Flag

Other than blankets and bags, what else can I make using old scrap fabric? Keeping in mind I am not a fancy seamstress. lol! For example, I made these Easter baskets from scrap fabric and old dishpans. I have 4 kids and they love homemade things.

By Judith Q.

Have you ever thought about quilting? I'm 30 and I'm starting to get into it. My grandmother uses everything to make quilts. you don't have to be a seamstress either. There are really easy quilts you can make. For example, use parts from your kids old shirts along with scrap fabric and make them a personalized quilt. My grandma took my great grandma's house coats and cut them up into squares and made a beautiful quilt from it! Now it's a treasured heirloom for me because I have something made by my grandmother and it reminds me of my great grandma.

I have been weaving a lot of scrap & fabric cut from old clothes. I cut it the same as I would to braid it or crochet it.

You could get rocks or buy the polished stones at the dollar type store & cover them- either hand-stitch it on or glue it. Place in pots or in garden.

Cover some regular common ink pens with it - either sew it on or sew a tube to fit it in or glue it on.

Try pinterest dot com for scrap fabric usage ideas.

January 17, 2010 Flag

I am looking for ideas (with instructions) for crafts and other uses for fabric (large yardage to scrap-sized pieces). Thank you and God bless.

October 7, 2008 Flag

When I submitted my wrapped bed frame, a kind lady said she wanted to do it to her bed, but it was flat. I promised her I would submit a sample of wrapped flat wood.

Fabric wrapped handle on small wooden box with rabbit motif.

Crafts FabricJanuary 5, 2013
Bin of scrap wood.
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Wood
Scrap Quilt
Scrap Quilt Ideas
Rustic birdhouse.
Scrap Wood Birdhouses
two fleece puppy pillows
Making Scrap Fleece Puppy Pillows