Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

This is a super easy pattern for a potholder that is easy enough for a beginner. It works up into a nice thick potholder that can be made larger for a table heat mat. This potholder is worked in the round so there is no increases or turning. It works up fast and easy so that even a child learning to crochet can accomplish this pattern. It would make a great Christmas present for a grandmother, Aunt or Mommy or anyone who bakes. This project is also a great portable project so when you are at your doctors or any where you have to wait you can work on it, it can slide right into a purse.

Time: About 2-3 hours

Materials:

• "I" crochet hook
  • Scrap yarn (I used worsted weight) Color of your choice

Instructions

Chain 40

Round 1 single crochet in each stitch across, now single crochet across the bottom of the row you just made. You now have an oval piece.

Round 2 until finished: Continue to single crochet in each stitch around. With each round that you do the ends will start to fold in. This is what you want. Continue until both ends meet in the center. Now on my last row I just pulled the two sides together and slip stitched the opening closed but you could cut the yarn at this point and whip stitch the potholder closed.

Loop for hanging: At one corner attach yarn and chain six. Attach to corner with a slipstitch. Turn and single crochet in each stitch across. Cut and weave in ends.

Final Note: I worked this up in a variegated blue yarn I had left over from another project and it worked up into a nice diagonal striped pattern.

By Debra Frick

Feedback:

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

Sorry, but I think it's important to note that it's a REALLY bad idea to use acrylic yarn for potholders. Plastic MELTS, and I learned that the hard way. It is not fun to sit in the ER while the doctor pulls melted yarn out of your skin. (09/17/2008)

By mamamoonie

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I have been making these potholders for years. They are very simple. I have given a lot away for gifts. I usually change colors at different stages for the stipe effect. (09/18/2008)

By Arnie.

By daisylover

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I have used worsted weight yarn for many many years for potholders and have never had one melt yet. Burn yes, when my kids left it on the stove on a lit burner but I guess it could be a concern, I am so sorry to hear that you got hurt. (10/01/2008)

By Debra Frick

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I also have been making these for several years. I save all my scraps of yarn. Just wind your scraps into a big ball. I use any leftovers that are 6 inches or longer. Just tie the new piece onto the end on your ball, and continue to wind. I use mostly 4 ply, but in some cases I have scraps of sport yarn, and I just double it and tie it to my ball. I have made many "one of a kind colors" by this method. And as another reader mentioned, I have never had one actually melt, but if this is a worry to you, just use cotton yarn to make them. It comes in many pretty colors. (10/01/2008)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Crocheted Pot Holder
Making Crocheted Potholders
Craft Ideas for Creamer Containers
Crafts Using Single Serving Cream Containers
Making a Eyeglass Case from a Potholder
Making an Eyeglass Case from a Potholder
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
🎉
🎄