Craft Uses for Bed Skirts

Your unused bed skirts can be put to use in your craft projects. This is a guide about craft uses for bed skirts.

April 8, 2008 Flag

I have found a great bargain for all of us crafters! If any of you are thrift store addicts like me, you may have noticed that there are a lot of bed skirts in the linen section of Goodwills, etc. Apparently not a lot of people use them, but they are a great source of fabric. You can cut the ruffle apart from the center and you have yards of material to use to make a skirt for an ottoman or chair, valances, or even a border for a quilt or comforter or pillows. You can usually pick one up for a buck or 2! What a deal!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

I also have bought one extra or used the one from a "bed in a bag" to make valances or toss pillows for the bedroom.

I have also used similar pieces to make little curtains for our sailboat - they are just the right size, and nice and long...

I've just been wondering what i can use the middle part of the bedskirt for also? Any ideas? Sure would appreciate input on this one, seems like to much material to waste. Cindym56

That is a great idea. Then maybe use the center part for filling on a small or thin quilt.

thank you

Why not use them to make fabric gift bags? They are easy to make and they are better for the environment then using paper wrapping paper.

Zig

Just saw one today! It was beige, and a medium quality, new, still in the package. The price was $1.00.

You can use the middle to stuff a pillow, just cut into strips. Or use it as a cheap disposable drop cloth. Or use it as a liner for sewing...hmmm.. I'm sure there's more, how about putting down when cutting someones hair! Ha! Ha! Us thrifty fanatics will think of anything!! Put it under your childs high chair to catch crumbs or when they are playing with play doh. Somebody stop me!! :)

I bought a cute blue gingham bed skirt at Goodwill for $1 and used it as a tablecloth at a baby shower. I just put a plain blue tablecloth on top to cover the white part of the skirt. I got so many compliments on it. The skirt was the perfect size for the 6-foot tables at church.

I've used old bedskirts to line reversible purses, made bias strips to sew around hand towels, as extra weight between two pieces of fabric when they're not quite thick enough, and you could starch the center part to make underlining or interfacing.

I do use bed skirts, and when I needed a king-sized one, I took two queen sized, split the main one down the middle, and cut a panel (after measuring carefully, of course) from the middle of the other one and sewed them together. They were similar color, but because I keep a cedar chest at the foot of my bed, the "patch" didn't show.

Now see here, friends, you all have such terrific ideas! I'm feeling all "behind the mark" because I thought I was being thrifty just dying thrift store bedskirts to the colors I needed for my bedrooms rather than buying them retail!

I see now that I have a long, long way to go! (exits slowly,... hanging head humbly... ;-))

October 18, 2005 Flag

Ever buy a bed-in-a-bag and not need the skirt? Well, I came up with some perfect uses for it.

Unneeded Bed Skirt

February 24, 2005 Flag

Thanks to everyone for your great tips regarding pillow shams. Does anyone have any ideas for uses for my king sized bed skirts. The base is white and the ruffles are in various patterns. I would appreciate any ideas on this. My thanks in advance. You guys are great!

Anjeena

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put this on your other one about shams but am reposting it here.

RE: Anyone have uses for pillow shams?

A bedskirt could be used as an underpad on a dining table with a tablecloth on top. (not waterproof though)

The decorative sides of the bedskirt could be cut and made into pillow covers.

The plain part of the bedskirt that goes on the boxspring could be used as a small quilt backing or curtains. Quite often that part is muslin or white cotton

http://romantichomesmagazine.co.nr

How about making valances with them?

This may not work for your situation (ruffles), but a tip that was given to me was that bedskirts (any size) are an excellent source of material for quilting. You can cut them up into either squares or strips and piece them together to make quilts/comforters. I've found that bedskirts are put into the free pile at yard sales or marked very cheap at yard sales or thrift stores. I haven't put one together yet ... but I have been stockpiling the "materials".

Good luck!

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherJanuary 29, 2013
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎉
🎄