Craft Uses for Contact Paper

Category Miscellaneous
Contact paper, whether the type with a printed pattern, clear, or translucent all can be used in a variety of craft projects. This is a guide about craft uses for contact paper.

Round coasters with heart shaped flower pattern.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making Victorian coasters. Using vintage art or wallpaper you can create lovely useful coasters for your home or a gift.

Three different bookmarks made from wallpaper.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Leftover wallpaper or pieces from a sample book can be made into beautiful bookmarks. This is a guide about wallpaper bookmarks.

Christmas Coasters

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making Christmas coasters. These Christmas coasters are an adorable and useful decoration.

Making Paper Plate Suncatchers

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making paper plate suncatchers. A delightful craft to try with your children is to make some beautiful paper plate suncatchers.

Paper Quilt

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Traditionally a quilt is made of fabric layers that are stitched together. However, you can make a paper "quilt" as an art or school project display or even as a gift or wall decoration. This is a guide about making a paper "quilt".

Contact paper doesn't just have to be used in large blocks. You can use scraps to make patchwork (I did this to re-furbish a semi-sturdy shopping bag.) Or, as inspired by designsponge, use different strips of wood grain to create an inlay effect.

I am looking for info on Contact paper projects. Does anyone know a website with pics and directions for covering items with Contact paper? I'm trying to cover a small night stand. The veneer in peeling off and I need a temp fix till I can find another one. I'm having trouble with the corners and edges. I folded the corners like wrapping paper but it does not look quite right.

Joyann from Visalia, CA

Contact paper is great for FLAT surfaces - but no matter what you do, folding it like that will be bulky & give you unsatisfactory results. You have to apply in flat planes. I would suggest covering the top and then, if necessary- applying the contact paper on the sides and cutting off edges with a razor blade or something like it - Remember, try to apply it flat to the sides of the stand etc. If the stand is laminate - you might be able to touch up the laminate - and only cover the top and sides of the piece. I like to use contact paper to creat faux marble/stone tops to furniture & have done it several times with good results.

When you are going around corners with Contact paper, you need to cut from the edge of the paper straight to the corner of the object you are covering. Then smooth one edge of the Cp down from the middle of the side and smoothing to the edge of the Cp and working your way outward to the corners. For an inside corner, cut the corner of the Cp on the diagonal and fold the Cp inside; it should line up side by side inside the corner. Always smooth Cp from the center out to the edges, relift/resmooth for major air bubble removal and prick little ones with a pin and smooth. Practice corners by wrapping a sturdy cardboard box and then you can use the box to hide away jewelry, office, sewing or craft supplies and then placed atop the furniture you are covering and you have coordinated accessories!

I love Cp: I have covered those 4 drawer cardboard chests and made night stands that match my bedding (I attached matching fabric with spray adhesive and then sealed it in with clear Cp); I covered all my pantry shelves with the herbal Cp; ruined cherry tabletops have been covered with white marble Cp trimmed at the edge with an Exacto knife and buffed with car wax (or petroleum jelly!) for that marble sheen. You can use tips from wallpaper experts for special situations (corners, how to trim around obstacles, etc.) Have fun!

this has nothing to do with contact paper but with covering your night stand. Instead of using contact paper, have you considered shrink wrap? you can buy this at a hardware store, ups store, acutally anyplace that does shipping. You just use a blowdryer and the wrap 'shrinks' around anything you put it on.

I have had the same problem, and I found that putting packing tape on the corners (and fold just like you were folding the contact paper) worked great, and because it's clear no one knows it's there. Hope this helps.

How can I peel apart old contact paper?

By Ed