Craft Uses for Memory Foam Mattress Toppers

Over the past year we have purchased a 2 inch memory foam mattress cover and a 4 inch one, both for a king bed. We finally bought a new bed, but the memory foam toppers weren't cheap. I would like to find a way to reuse them. We already have memory foam dog beds. I thought about pillows and mats for the kids to lay on the floor with. Any other ideas?

By Catherine L

How about new cushions for your lawn chairs? It'd be good for dishes, if you have to box up fragile items. Or use a vinyl tablecloth and cover a piece for a "bath" pillow, or pool side cushions.

Roll up a piece and stuff it in a cloth tube. Instant neck pillow. I have one made from carpet padding but should work with the thinner topper.

Cut into fun shapes to use for bath sponges; make "bricks" out of them for children to build with.

If you know of anyone who spends a lot of time in a wheelchair, they would be glad to have a pad for the seat and it would help to prevent pressure sores. Maybe a local nursing home rehab department would appreciate the opportunity to fashion some out of the material.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

July 12, 2012 Flag

Make your own memory foam pillows and save money. Buy a bargain priced (single bed size) 3 inch memory foam mattress pad and two zippered pillow case covers.

Measure the pillow case covers and cut 4 pieces of the memory foam the same size using a yardstick and marking your cut lines with a Sharpie pen so you have the right size and cut a straight line (I used scissors to cut them). One at a time, tuck two of the pieces carefully into each pillow case so there are no lumpy spots, and zipper them in. Cover as normal with pillow cases. They are very comfortable and affordable.

Afterward, I took two small strips of leftover foam and inserted them lengthwise into an older pillow case and tucked the ends of the pillow case in. I use it as a lumbar support for my back in my car. It gives just the right amount of support and it isn't lumpy because it molds to your back.

You can make pet beds using this method also. Much cheaper than buying them from the pet store.

By Ann from Goulais River, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment
Crafts Recycled CraftsMay 29, 2011
Photo of a bed with a memory foam mattress.
Cleaning a Memory Foam Mattress
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Craft Foam Purses
Making Craft Foam Purses
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 12, 2017 at 12:51:13 PM on 10.0.1.49 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.