Craft Uses for Wedding Veils

Category Clothing
Wedding Veil
Wedding veils are made from a variety of fabrics, including tulle, organza, and netting to name a few. Whether you are recycling your own veil or bought one at a thrift store or garage sale, there are crafts projects that can be made using the fabric. This is a guide about craft ideas for wedding veils.

I would like to know if anybody has ever done something crafty with their wedding veil with all of the lace, etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Linda from Hartley, IA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Not my veil, but my baby's bassinet cover. It was one of those long, lacy, gorgeous ones and I just couldn't see getting rid of it or packing it away and never seeing it except when going through things every few years.

I decided to make a Christmas tree skirt out of it. I wanted a "grown-up" tree in our bedroom, and it made perfect sense to use it there. I went further and made the theme all white. I hung a couple pairs of my son's white booties, had the bassinet skirt, brought in some small twigs that I spray-painted white and sprinkled with iridescent glitter, crocheted white snowflakes - it was so beautiful!!

The best part is that I get to take that bassinet-tree skirt out every year and let it do it's new duty while I enjoy seeing it again for a few weeks! Perhaps you could do the same with your veil.

Best Answer

In 1939, as a wedding gift, my grandmother had my mother's veil (along with its tiara-band) box-framed around the wedding portrait. I've never seen this done since.

Best Answer

I made a 12-foot veil for my first wedding, a mantilla style with lace hand-sewn all around. After the marriage was over, I used that tulle for all kinds of things, since I had no sentimental attachment to it, at all.

I covered lemon halves when we made Caesar salad for a group dinner, a bag for my son's (from my 2nd and forever marriage) tub toys, a minnow catcher made with a coat hanger, and a skimmer for his little above-ground swimming pool.

When somebody lost a contact in the shag carpet, I covered the end of the hand vac with tulle to find it. I used that tulle until it absolutely wore out, and I've used the lace for all kinds of things over the last 40 years.

Probably the best thing to come out of that marriage. :)

Hey Linda,

Never had to wear a wedding veil myself (being that I'm a guy..lol) but, several years ago during a Christmas Craft class the instructor brought in a variety of laces - some had been used as veils. She also brought in a variety of cookie cutters in a range of sizes to use as patterns (snowflakes, circles, etc). We also used a taper candle and block of foam for the base.

You would need to cut a hole part way thru the foam, wide enough to hold the candle securely. Using the patterns cut 5 various sizes of lace AND 5 of each for a total of 25 pieces once cut. Because the lace we used wasn't very stiff, we used fabric stiffener to help add some body to the lace. Cut an "X" shape in the center of each cut out shape to feed the candle thru. Once all the pieces are cut and stiffened, start stacking them on the candle stick thru the cut hole with the largest pieces on the bottom, working to the smallest on the top. We then glued some glittery type of embellishments on it and when completed, we had a Christmas tree for a table. You just don't want to burn the candle, since it's meant to be the trunk of the tree. You could also dye the lace if desired but it was really pretty with white lace and a white candle in the center. and if you would like to cover the foam you could wrap it with gift wrap or fabric or take a variety of small packages, wrap them, add little bows and hot glue them to the foam base. It was easy to store, just take the candle out, lay the pieces flat and box it all together, just not in a hot place or the candle can melt/warp...

You could also use an image online and resize it in multiple sizes to print and use as a pattern. Hope this gives you an idea.