Crafting Tips and Tricks

Crafting Tools
The numerous craft types each have their own collection of useful tips that either make your project easier or enhance the final outcome. This is a guide about crafting tips and tricks.

Always sign and date your labors of love. I have homemade ornaments from many years ago. Some aren't signed and it's sad not to remember who took the time to create their "labor of love".

By Keeper60 from NC

I'm a creative person, and I like to learn about new ways to express myself artistically. I don't like to rush out and buy a ton of expensive materials before I start a new hobby, so I have found it's worthwhile to take a sample class or visit a craft store for a demo of something I'm interested in trying before I jump in all the way. When I'm at the craft store, I scan the calendar for demos on art projects that interest me. In this way, I've learned about art journaling, altered books, duct tape purses, scrap booking, card making, and watercolor drawing. Some of the hobbies - like watercolor - I've continued to pursue for years. Some have fallen by the wayside, but all of them have been fun to learn about.

Sometimes, I experiment in different ways. For example, a few years ago I met a woman who had lived in Japan where she learned Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arranging. After talking with her, I got so interested I got online and read up on the craft, visited a free exhibit hosted by a local Ikebana club, went to the Japanese flower gardens in my city, and then tried my hand at my own arrangements. The only investment was my own time and effort. The supplies I needed were right in my garden and the kitchen cupboard.

My grandmother taught me to knit as a child, and although I never graduated beyond the basics, I still like to knit uncomplicated things just to relax. I found an informal knitters group in my community that meets weekly, and started showing up occasionally to meet with other enthusiasts and learn about new projects. Now I knit only simple scarves, and I donate the ones I make to a women's shelter, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of working with the yarn and seeing something pretty and useful come out of my needles.

Finding new ways to express myself creatively has added so much enjoyment to my life, for very little cost. I guess the old saying is right: the best things in life are (almost) free!

By Claire from Phoenix, AZ

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Don't despair if you don't have a printer or ink to print patterns off the net. Tape a sheet of paper to the top of your screen, and trace the pattern with a pencil. I have done this many, many times, and am well pleased with the results.

By Melody Y. from Sedalia, MO

If you are handcrafting small angels for ornaments, here is a very easy way to make already wired, angel wings.

Simply buy a large, wide roll of glittered or un-glittered wired ribbon. Cut a piece of the ribbon off the roll. Cut through the middle of the ribbon in a scalloped way. All of a sudden you have two angel wings that can be shaped in anyway you wish, because of the wire. Just put the wire side up, cut to fit and hot glue it to your angel. Instant angel wings.

By Yvette from Dallas, TX

When gluing paper crafts, I find it is easy to get glue all the way to the edges of the paper. Simply get an old, worn-out magazine to absorb the glue that goes past the edge. Then, peel off the glue-applied item and affix it in its permanent place.

I do a lot of gluing and painting when working on my crafts. It can get pretty messy at times. My solution for this is to buy inexpensive paper towels and cut them into squares or rectangles (I cut several layers at a time) to keep on hand for quick clean-up of paint tips and glue tips. I store them in a gallon size Ziploc bag. They can also be used to get your paint started flowing from dimensional paint bottles, eliminating globs of paint where you don't want them!

By Judy from Birmingham, AL

This page contains sewing tips and tricks. All crafts can be made easier if you are able to pick up some useful tips. Sewing is no exception. Sewing tips can speed up your work and may help you create a nicer final project.

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

I love to crochet and all the old pattern books/magazines excite me when I would find them at garage sales. They are musty, mildewy, who knows what has crawled over, in and through them? Some of the books you don't even want to touch, but if you're like me, you can't keep your fingers off or out of them.

This is a guide about knitting tips and tricks. Even experienced knitters can appreciate a new technique or tool to use in their craft.

Knitting Tips

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you are making a craft projects with silk flowers, you can stiffen them, and still keep their bright color, by using the strongest hair spray you can find.

This is handy for people like me who always misplace a lighter or it falls in the couch.

lighter

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Keeping Things Together While Gluing. Sometimes when you are working on a project, the pieces are difficult to keep together until the glue dries. . .

Look up a favorite picture and once you choose one, enter the url into the box at the following link! You will have custom colors!

This guide contains machine embroidery tips and tricks. Beautiful designs can be added to clothing and linens with this tool.

Machine Embroidery

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Crochet is a very versatile handicraft that can be used to create beautiful clothing, linens, toys, and more. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced craftsperson, there is always a new tip that might prove to be useful. This is a guide about crochet tips and tricks.

Ball of blue yarn with crochet hook.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cutting fabric tips and tricks. Many crafts utilize fabric. There are many tips that you can employ that will help make cutting your fabric easier.

Someone cutting light blue fabric with scissors.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about stamping tips and tricks. Crafters who enjoy making cards, scrapbookers, and kids all love to use stamps in their artwork.

A hand holding a rubber stamp.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cutting fabric straight with scissors. Cutting a straight line, using scissors, when working with fabric is not always that easy.

Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about cross stitch tips and tricks. No matter what your craft project there are always ways to help it go smoother.

Cross Stitch

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using a hot glue gun. An essential tool for many crafting projects is the glue gun.

Using a Hot Glue Gun

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fabric dyeing tips and tricks. Dyeing your own fabric can be very satisfying and allows you to get just the color and shade you want for your project.

Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about screen printing tips and tricks. If you are thinking of trying your hand at screen printing at home there are some steps you can follow to ensure a positive experience.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about quilting tips and tricks. There are a lot of tips for methods of cutting and piecing that can improve your accuracy and speed up your project. Find out ways to get inexpensive fabric or free patterns.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I like the recycled bird feeder idea. Here is a faster, simpler way to make holes in any plastic without using a hammer. If you have a gas stove in your kitchen, I use a pair of long handled pliers to hold a longer nail.

For those of you who color your own hair, save the plastic gloves and wear them when working on any kind of messy craft or painting project. They will keep your hands a lot cleaner.

10 ways to reuse an empty needle nose plastic glue bottle.

The saying, "measure twice, cut once", is as old as the hills. It's generally used in carpentry to help prevent the wasting of materials, but it's really a good tip for all crafts. It's a good rule when working with fabric, leather or any material that needs to be cut to fit a particular purpose.

I'm looking for a craft for my 5 year old to make to take to the local assistant living facility. My grandfather had a stroke 2 years ago and he loved when my son try's to help him and visit during his recovery over 14 hours away! I want to continue to teach my son to care for others, giving, and hopefully bringing light to another's heart. Anyone has any ideas for him to make and hand out? Thanks

By Lindsey

Here is easy, creative, and educational crafts to make learning fun and engaging for kids. Crafts that can be done are alphabet tree, alphabet drawing board, apple print pumpkin, butterfly crown.

For more here is the site which I had come across while searching for the kids crafts for my little hope this can give u a great idea of crafts that kids can have great fun while doing this.

http://www.come  es-for-boys.html

Picture frames made from popscicle sticks are easy to glue in a square. Cut up calendars or greeting cards to glue to the back and glue on a bright piece of yarn for the hanger. I know you're proud of your grandson.