Crafts Made With Placemats

Category Miscellaneous
A bag made out of placemats.
New or recycled placemats can be used in many craft projects. This is a guide about crafts made with placemats.

Here is a great craft idea that makes great gifts! I purchased 2 gorgeous place mats at Goodwill (2 for 99 cents) in a purple toile pattern. I placed them together and sewed around leaving an opening at the top and turned right side out. I then sewed on purchased bamboo handles (which I found on a purse I got for 50 cents at a thrift shop, I just removed the bag).

Voila! A really cool purse! You can use dollar store place mats. I am always on the lookout at Goodwill, etc for purses with these handles, a lot cheaper than buying them new. You can embellish these however you want. I have put a ribbon "rose" on one. I left this one as is because I didn't want to clash with the print.

By Carol from Landisville, PA

This is a bag made from placemats that I purchased at a garage sale.

Approximate Time: 1 to 1/2 hours

Instructions:

1. To begin, decide which place mat will be the front and embroider a design of your choice on the front. Place the 2 place mats wrong sides together and sew them on one long side and 2 short sides.
  2. While the machine was embroidering the design, I took one strip of yellow and one strip of blue fabric approximately 20 x 1 1/2 inches.
  3. Fold each pieced in half lengthwise wrong sides together and sew down each long side. Turn fabric and stuff with cording.
  4. On this bag I made 2 sets of these and twisted them together to make the handles. Place handle ends just inside the top of bag.
  5. Next cut 2 strips of fabric to match the size of the place mats. Sew together on one long side and 2 short sides. Fold down the top 1/4 inch. Place inside bag with wrong sides together. Sew around the top to attach the lining.
  6. For the closure I made a strip of blue fabric and used a large old yellow button.

By Judy from Jonesboro, TX

Placemats sewn together would be a great complimentary "lap robe" for someone in a wheelchair. They could sew their own or be involved in choosing the color or design that would match their clothing, as an accessory to other items they wear! The placemats are inexpensive enough and usually thick to be warm enough that a person could have as many lap robes as they want to go with different sets of clothing.
What fun!

By Veronica from Sedalia, MO

I found the placemats on sale for .50 a piece at my local Dollar General (with tax it was $4.24) and sewed them together with fishing line that I had on hand. You will want to use a needle that has a bigger eye to thread the fishing line through. I used 8 placemats total, 4 of one color and style and 4 of another color and style. If you want to, you can use the same colors and styles. You can also arrange them any way you want and sew them together. What is nice about doing the rug with the placemats is that you can just throw it in the washer when it gets dirty. Also the fishing line will hold up longer than regular thread.

By Connie from Towanda, PA

Some placemats can be used as a cover for casserole dishes. This is a guide about using placemats to make casserole dish covers.

Placemat casserole dish cover.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes