Crafts Using Iron On Transfers

Category Fabric
Decorative transfers can be ironed on to handbags, clothing or cloth to make fun, unique things. This guide is about crafts using iron on transfers.

I wanted my own personal tee shirt without the cost of company mark up. At Michael's they have tee shirts on sale often, for $2.99 each. They also carry iron on transfers for the tee shirts, (3 sheets per pack). You can make at least 3 tees with 1 package. With a coupon it comes to $4.00, at 50% off. So I wanted to try my hand at this new craft.

Total Time: 1 hr.

• iron on transfer
  • tee shirts
  • printer/copier
  • iron

1. First pre wash tees.
  2. Lightly press for wrinkles.
  3. Make your image drawn in reverse, so when you apply the picture it reads from right to left. It is now printed from my computer following directions from the transfer package.
  4. Place you tee flat on a ironing surface. With your printed side down, iron in a circular motion on transfer approx. 20 seconds. I am trying this idea so that I can do personal tees for the family. Be sure to follow directions on package.
  5. Ad
  6. Peel back paper while very warm.
  7. Ad
  8. These are my first! These are great if you want to make a personal statement for a birthday, wedding, or just because. I plan on doing more to get better at this task!

This cool messenger bag was made with unbleached cotton canvas. Some iron on transfers from Fabricland were applied for decoration. My girl loves it.

By Ellen from Ontario

I love it, very funky and great color. Good job!

Black shirt with Halloween transfer.

Buy a cheap black t-shirt. (I paid $2.50 for mine at Michael's) and then get a rhinestone Halloween themed iron on and iron it on your shirt. So simple, and NO sewing involved. As the month gets colder you can layer it with a white or orange turtleneck. Great for kids too!

I have some iron-on transfers or very colorful fake tattoos, I don't know which. I tried applying them to some bare wood trinket boxes first by rubbing them like you would a window transfer, then by ironing. They stuck moderately well, but the backing won't come off. When I tug at it the picture comes up from the wood surface.

I just pulled one off. It's a very detailed Chinese dragon. It is a little tacky, as though there's some sort of gum on the surface and it left a little residue on the box. If it's supposed to be peeled off first and applied that way, I can't seem to start an edge.

There are streaming cloud trails, whiskers, ears and other delicate parts to it that would be easily damaged if I am not careful. Has anyone worked with these things before? How do I get them free of their backing, which is a stiff white cardstock?

By nekocat from OR

Best Answer

You could try wetting it again and lightly rubbing the paper off. It will crumb off. I done this method with a paper to clay image transfer. Be extra careful when the image starts to appear.

Best Answer

You have to thoroughly wet the backing for about 30 seconds and then use a damp sponge to smooth out the design after transfer.

I am looking for a cover that goes on an iron to cover up the steam holes and gives a smooth surface to the iron sole plate. I am doing some work with large iron-on transfers and the holes from the sole plate make "bubbles" in the transfers. I can get them out but have other uses for a smooth plate, too.

A Google search lead me to Teflon covers but they still have holes - although they are smaller than my iron's. Does anyone know of a source for the smooth sole plate cover? Thanks a million.

If you are doing a lot of transfers and are using your iron as a 'dry' iron, I suggest you buy a Dry Iron. They are available at most discount stores in the $10.00 range. This would save a lot of stress for you. I'm from the era when steam irons first came out, but I clearly remember my mother sprinkling the clothes to get them damp and even putting them in the refrigerator to 'keep' them, and then ironing with a dry iron (the only kind then). I do own both and use them for different purposes. Good Luck.

Did you pre wash fabric or garment?

Have you tried placing a towel under and a pressing cloth on top of fabic or garment?

Sometimes Ironing board surface is not hard enough surface.

Until you can find a cover for your iron, you can temporarily use heavy duty aluminum foil, folded over twice or go to the local home improvement center and buy some flashing. Flashing is the metal used on roofs, gutters, ect... you can use metal shears to cut it.

Look at the name brand of your irons web-site or better yet if there is a number, call!

hope these short-cut tips will help

I have not seen any dry irons in any discount or dollar stores in many years; but the other day I got a catalog from Vermont Country store and they have one in the catalog. I think it is $29.95. Check their website. It is www.vermontcountrystore.com. They have a lot of items that you can no longer find anywhere else. Some of their items are a little pricy but then everything has gone up. I have ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed.