Crafts Using Picture Frames

Category Decorations
Crafts Using Picture Frames
Recycled or inexpensive picture frames can be decorated and used to create fun new decor for your home. This is a guide about crafts using picture frames.

This is relatively a simple quilling project. A 3x5 inch brown mat frame is embellished with beautiful quill work. Quill a flower with leaves and "V" scrolls, and a pumpkin in the grass. This can be put in a picture frame with your Pumpkin Patch picture, or in a scrapbook. This holds a 3x5 inch photograph.

Approximate Time: forty-five minutes

Instructions:

Use your slotted quilling tool or needle to create shapes.

For the Flower:

1. Create six yellow teardrop shapes. Refer to the picture and glue these together to form a flower. Create a green/gray tight coil and glue to the middle of the flower.
  2. From two 6 inch green quilling strips create two "V" coil shapes. Glue the bottom together up to 1/2 inch to form a stem. Glue these into flower referring to picture for placement.
  3. From two 6 inch green quilling strips create two leaf shapes and glue to the "V" shapes.
    For the Pumpkin:

4. From the 6 inch orange quilling strip create a loose coil. Set aside. From a 3 inch green quilling strip create a rectangular shape to represent the pumpkin stem. Glue to the pumpkin.
  5. From a 6 inch green quilling strip, create a "V" shape and glue the bottom together up to 1/2 inch. Glue to pumpkin next to stem. Refer to picture for placement.
  6. From a 3 inch green quilling strip, create a scroll shape and glue to the bottom of the "V" shape. (Again, refer to picture for placement if needed.)
    For the Grass:

7. From a 2 inch green quilling strip and a separate 1 inch green quilling strip, create irregular fan folds. Slightly open to represent grass.
  8. Glue all created pieces to the mat. Refer to the picture for placement. This mat holds a 3x5 inch photograph.

By Marianne from Monroe, IA

Wow! That's really neat and pretty!

I used small twigs from my yard and using a hot glue gun, I added them a layer at a time until the entire frame was covered. Then I covered with a light coat of Mod Podge to seal it. Also, look at the little flower pot done to match. This was a small tin can covered in twigs.

Approximate Time: 2 Hours

Instructions:

I used small twigs from my yard and using a hot glue gun, I added them a layer at a time until the entire frame was covered. Then I covered with a light coat of Mod Podge to seal it. Also look at the little flower pot done to match. This was a small tin can covered in twigs.

By Sharon from Lakeland, FL

Love this idea.

This old picture frame was going to be trash until I thought of painting it and adding some extra "Happy New Years" confetti to it. I slapped on some glossy varnish and now it looks fantastic.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes without drying time

Instructions:

1. Start by cleaning and lightly sanding the frame if it's wood or metal. Plastic should just be cleaned. I used an old "I Love Mommy" frame that looks pretty, but was scratched and discolored, as shown here."
  2. Ad

3. Make sure the picture frame is dry. Spray an even coat of black paint on the frame and let dry. Repeat if needed.
  4. Find any kind of stiff, plastic confetti. I used "Happy New Year" metallic confetti. Brush a tiny bit of glue to the back of the confetti and use a pair of tweezers to help place it on the frame.
  5. Push the confetti flat and let dry. Repeat process for each piece of confetti you want to use. This will make the confetti stick, but it won't stay there long. That's why the next step is varnish.
  6. Apply a light, even layer of clear varnish over the frame. Pay close attention to the confetti and make sure to get on, around and in the nooks of each piece. Let the varnish dry.
  7. Add second coat and let dry. This glues the confetti on from the top as well as the bottom. Now it'll stay put.
  8. Put a picture in your new frame and enjoy!

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Anonymous

Cute idea !!! Thanks !!!

Very nice.

This is a guide about making a seashell picture frame. Use your seashell collection to create a beautiful picture frame.

A picture frame made from seashells.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

Renew and refurbish old picture frames, even rusty metal ones, with acrylic paint. Try mixing silver paint with different colors for unique results. For wooden frames, use Gesso to glue lace or lacy seam binding around the edges for a carved look before painting.

There are many creative ideas for making your own jewelry holder; using a picture frame provides a tangle free solution. This is a guide about making a picture frame jewelry holder.

Picture Frame Jewelry Holder

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about decorating a wooden picture frame. Plain wood picture frames can be decorated in many ways to fit into your home decor or to be given as gifts.

A wooden frame with red glitter hearts.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Decorate a Picture Frame

Decorate a Picture Frame

Uses for old wooden frames that are missing glass. These tips are from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Decorate a Picture Frame

Decorate a picture frame using paint and found objects. You can decorate a frame with a nautical theme by painting a lighthouse and birds on it. Then hot glue on some found objects like seashells to complete the project.

Make A Table Tray Or Collage

You can put a thin piece of wood in where the glass goes, paint the whole thing and make a tray. Small frames make nice trays for your dresser or the bathroom, and large frames make nice serving trays. If the frame is really thick and strong, you can add handles from the hardware store to hang on to.

If the frames are nice, it also looks neat to do a collage of empty frames on a wall - different shapes and sizes. The woodwork of the frame becomes your "art".

By QueenBeeCrafts

Blackboard

You could paint some plywood with black board paint, attach the frame and then hang it near the pantry as a notice/shopping list board.

By Wolnut

Use For Children's Artwork

When my kids were little, I use to take the old frames and frame their artwork and put them by the pictures on the same wall and as they got older I would put their best papers from school in the frames to show off. They were also able to take the frames and decorate them to become "different frames" on our walls.

By Ginny

Earring Holder

If you staple window screening to the back of the frame, they make a great holder for earrings. Simply hang on the wall and organize!

By Kathy

Get Glass To Use As Frame

An Arts and Crafts store like Hobby Lobby sells glass made for photo frames. If you know the measurements for the frames, you can buy new glass pieces for them.

By Renee

Make A Papermaking Screen

Try a search on making paper. I have never done it but one easy method that I have heard of is to blend scrap paper with a little water to a fine pulp and then using a screen (a.k.a. one made out of an old picture frame) lay the mush out, squeeze it thin and let it dry.

By Kwaurio

Yard Art

A lady in our local garden club used an old barnboard picture frame in her landscaping. She set it up on a stand and planted an assortment of annuals and perennials behind the stand. This "picture" was the talk of the club when we toured the yard and looked great.

By Valleyrimgirl

what a beautiful frame

A designer friend of mine used velvet in gilt frames and put several on them on an office wall for a bulletin board.

You can always put acetate sheets in them as a cheap glass substitute (also good for children, as it isn't as hazardous as glass)l.

I have glued smaller frames onto larger ones and then painted or stained them. This technique makes for an interesting frame!

By Eva Marie Stasiak

These personalized frames are great gifts! They can literally be for anyone because they are personalized. I enjoy making them for my daughter and with children for their parents on Mother's and Father's days.

• Frame
  • Water
  • Paint / Spray paint
  • Hot glue gun
  • Paint brushes
  • Decorations
  • Sealer

Directions:

Once you have gathered all your supplies select the color you would like to paint your frame. After removing the glass and backing of the frame; paint or spray paint it. For the best results use two coats of paint, and let dry for at least 2 hours.

Next you will want to paint on any personalization or wording. Do all your painting before you glue on any decorations, this keeps your work surface flat. Again let your frame dry before continuing.

After your paint has dried you should spray the entire painted area with a sealer. You can use a satin sealer or glossy sealer to add a shimmer to your art. This will increase the life of your frames paint job.

The last steps are to lay out any decorations you would like to attach to the frame. Lay everything out first to ensure it all fits and looks the way you like. Then hot glue them into place.

Let the frame dry for 24 hours before replacing the glass and adding a picture.

Feedback:

RE: Personalized Frames

Pretty and easy thank you. (03/21/2006)

By meoowmom

RE: Personalized Frames

These are really neat! I might try some of these. Thanks for posting the directions! (03/21/2006)

By rainwolf

RE: Personalized Frames

They look great! I think that I could even make one of those frames. I will look forward to making one. Thank you for such clear directions! Best wishes (03/22/2006)

By Sheri

RE: Personalized Frames

Awesome - good project idea, I love it! (03/25/2006)

By wdyjsu

RE: Personalized Frames

Real pretty, I love it when someone gives good ideas with a picture. Thanks (04/01/2006)

By nmcl