Cream of Asparagus Soup

• 2 tbsp butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup diced onions
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 cups asparagus, chopped

Melt butter and saute onion until clear. Add flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and chicken stock. Cook and stir until it boils & thickens.

Cook asparagus in a small amount of water. Drain. Add to the sauce. Blend until texture is as smooth as you like.

Serve hot garnished with grated cheddar cheese. Makes 3 - 4 cups.

About The Author: From

Cream of Asparagus Soup

This recipe sounds very interesting and I dearly love asparagus. My only suggestions: I'd leave out the flour and use potato flakes instead. Also, instead of cooking the asparagus in water I'd probably cook it in some kind of stock. IMO, all water is good for in a kitchen is making coffee or making stock, or washing dishes. I never cook with plain old water. (08/20/2005)

By Alph

Cream of Asparagus Soup
Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer
Selecting Good Asparagus
asparagus on wood cutting board
Canning Asparagus
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
asparagus on wood cutting board
Freezing Asparagus