Crochet With Scrap Fabric

Category Crochet
Crochet With Scrap Fabric
You don't have to limit your crochet projects to only using yarn; try using fabric scraps. This is a guide about crochet with scrap fabric.

Ever run across an "ugly" piece of fabric? Cannot imagine any use for it? Cut into 1/2 to 1 inch strips and either crochet or knit it into a rug! Great for those entry points to you house to keep the "crud" out or for pets to use as a bed!

By Dawn from Junction City, KS

I have a rather large fabric collection. We decided to paint our new bathroom a pumpkin color. It looks very nice, but hard to match for accessories. So, I decided to crochet a rug using my left over fabric.

I researched it on the web and found different ideas and patterns. I chose to cut my materials into 1 inch strips and use a Q crochet hook. I am half way through and it looks great. It's a pain to sew the strips together, but so much better then throwing the fabric out!

By dduff from Adirondacks, NY

We took several well worn towels (and wash clothes) out of our RV that had become favorites and "old stand-bys". They are getting a new life; crocheted into a rug, mat, seat cushion, or other useful item. They had become so thin from use for so long and some had holes, and were really only fit for the rag bag!

I cut them into strips and rolled them into balls until I got time recently to work with them. They can be cut in a continual piece if you spiral cut the whole item. If not, cut the strips and connect them.

You have to be pretty good at realizing what you can hook through loops as you work and what will become a challenge or a "tug-of-war"

So, before you start cutting, hold the towel or washcloth in your hands and scrunch to decide how thick you need to cut the strips. Less worn material will require a more narrow strip. The more worn out it is, the wider you need to cut it.

Cut one of the better items first, those that have had less use, and from that, decide how wide you need to cut the items with more use.

I started a rug/mat project a couple of days ago. I am using the largest crochet hook available here. I am crocheting it round, because I find it easier to crochet round ones. You might feel up to making a different shape.

My towels and washcloths which had become too worn out to be much use to absorb water and certainly too worn out to be hung in the bathroom are going to useful once again, remade into a thicker handmade item.

If you have several of the same size, they could also be stacked and stitched together to add more thickness.

My camera isn't working or I would post images to show how far along I am with it! Maybe later...

Does anyone know how to knit or crochet a purse with strips of fabric?

Linda

One time I bought some very pretty fabric on sale and after I decided to make a skirt with it, I still ended up with a ton of it left, so I knitted a sweater to match with the remaining fabric. Just lay it out flat on the floor and start at one side (side A), and cut a strip 1/2 inch wide, stopping 1/2 inch before you get to the edge (of side B). Then go 1/2 inch below where you stopped (on side B) and cut all the way across back to side A, stopping before you go all the way to the edge. Keep doing this until all your fabric is cut. You end up with one big long strand that you can crochet or knit with, just like you would a piece of yarn. It frays a little, but that just adds character, and it was very durable, I had it for years and ended up getting tired of it before it wore out. Also there are just tons of free patterns for purses on line if you need one. I hope this helps you out. Have fun.

I found kits at Joann.com and also at my local walmart store. The brand name is "Fabri Knit". They come with everything you need (except knitting needles). The fabric is already cut and it includes embelishments,handle and instructions.

I am sure you could croquet the fabric as well.

There's a pattern in the book Creative Crochet (leisure Arts Publicaton) for Quick Soft and Roomy Tote. It's made using 2" wide strips of cloth, size Q hook.

Here's a link to detailed instructions on HGTV to knit one...

http://www.hgtv  2803674,00.html. If the link doesn't work, go to www.hgtv.com and search "Knitted Fabric Empress Purse."

You can recycle clothes and ugly fabric by cutting the fabric into strips. This method is great for floor mats, and bedspreads. The bed spread can become a keepsake for a family member if made with their old clothes.

By spiritph