Crown Royal Bag Quilt

I am not a crafty person, but I'm interested in making a quilt or throw out of Crown Royal liquor bags. I've never made a quilt before and don't know where to start. I don't own a sewing machine. Do I need one?

Or does anyone know where I can purchase a new or used quilt or throw made of Crown Royal bags?

Jo in TN from Jackson, TN

Answers:

Crown Royal Bag Quilt

I own an alteration shop and we do miscellaneous things like this. We had a man bring us hundreds of those large Crown Royal bags. I cut them into a square and made a quilt for him. We also made him curtains. Yes, you will need a sewing machine. I cut them into squares and them sewed them all together to make the quilt top. I then sewed it to a large piece of material to make the back and then knotted the quilt with some yarn.
Nancy
(11/09/2005)

By Nancy Toepfer

Crown Royal Bag Quilt

When you make the quilt, be aware that the bags are only going to be the top of the quilt. You will still need a layer of lining and a bottom (like a sandwich).
Sounds like you are a novice sewer and this is something most newbies are not aware of.

The lining needs to be as washable as the bags. So if the bags are dry-cleanable, the lining needs to be, too. Ditto for the bottom of the quilt.

You can contact Crown Royal and see if anyone knows how to wash the bags. Measure a bag before washing, wash it, put it in the dryer and see if it shrank or shredded. If you wash something white with it, see if the color bled. (11/10/2005)

By cookwie

Crown Royal Bag Quilt

I just finished my Crown quilt, it turned out great. The hardest part was figuring out a pattern. I would just use your imagination and make your own, that's what makes the quilt special! Good Luck!! (11/14/2005)

By Autum

Crown Royal Bag Quilt

I am working on a Crown Royal bag quilt (for almost 1 1/2 yrs.) and I have had a lot of problems with my pattern. I cut the bags close to the seams and I am trying to use the gold, but I am having a problem with it laying flat. I think I sewed too far down the scallop, which make it bulky. I have sewed and picked so much thread, that I have had to put it away for awhile. I have it laid out again and attempting it again. (12/31/2006)

By Cyndi