Crust on Bread Machine Bread Always Too Crispy

I have found some great bread machine recipes. However, the crust always comes out extra crispy. It isn't burned, just crispy. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

By Susan

I don't have a bread machine, but my parents do. Does yours have a darkness setting? For some recipes my parents adjust the darkness setting on their machine. Maybe that would change the crispiness of the crust, too.

After it cools down to almost room temperature, store the bread in a plastic bag. This will soften up the crust a lot. I've never timed it, but it should happen quite quickly...within a few hours. Maybe even closer to an hour.

Remove it from the bread machine, brush some butter or margarine over the top with a pastry brush. Or you can rub a partial stick over the top, and cover over with a cloth. This makes a soft crust.

When you take bread out put a piece of wet papertowel over it, it will absorb the mositure while it sits there and soften the upper crust. I do this will calzones also.

You could also brush with melted butter after you take it out of the machine.

Thank you for these suggestions. I should have been more specific. My problem is with all four sides, not just the top. I do store it in a plastic bag but it doesn't seem to help,

I've also changed the darkness setting to lowest level.

Keep the responses coming!

Hello! I'm like you I always thought the bread machine made the crust too tough and crunchy. My solution was to rub it all over with spreadable margarine just as soon as I removed it from the machine. ( We always had a big tub of it so it was easier than using the stick kind.) My kids always called it rubbing lotion on the bread to soften it up. LOL

I just get a good glop on my fingers and rub it on all over. It soaks right into that nice warm crust and makes it soft and tender. I then set it on paper towel on a cooling rack to cool (if it lasts that long) and store in a plastic bag. Hope this helps!

Take dough out of bread machine, put in loaf pan and bake in 350 degree oven when done rub butter all over top.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadJune 13, 2011
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
cheesecake with graham cracker crust
Dessert Ideas With a Graham Cracker Crust
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎄
🍂