Curbing Junk Food Cravings When Quitting Smoking

A bunch of bowls of salty snack foods.
Quitting a habit like smoking is frequently accompanied by substitute cravings for high calorie snacks. This is a guide about curbing junk food cravings when quitting smoking.

I just quit smoking after too many years and really have had no problems quitting so far. Now the only real problem I am having is the snack foods. Does anyone out there have the same problem? One thing I know that has helped me is the strawberry Twizzlers. I know a lot of you are having the same problem. Another thing a friend of mine said to do is cut straws in half and suck on them when you want a cigarette. Thank you for any suggestion you might have.

Best Answer

Straws work! I quit about 5 years ago and chewed, sucked and finger twirled a straw for a few weeks (maybe even months), but it really worked.

It helps with that hand to mouth action that is so automatic. It also has No side-effects, No weight gain, they are easy to carry, and you can use them at work, on the phone, in the car or at home without anyone really noticing.

I also think they would be an easier switch for you since you've been using twizzlers, straws are a similar shape and size.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

Instead of a straw, I used a cinnamon stick to suck on. It satisfied holding a "cigarette" (the cinnamon stick) and the oral gratification of smoking. The "sweet - hot" taste of the cinnamon was a jolt to my mouth. When the urge to smoke got really bad, I breathed in deeply and held my breath for the slow count of 10 before slowly exhaling. Good luck - and hang in there!

Best Answer

Cinnamon altoids are what they suggested in my stop smoking class.

Best Answer

My dad had to quit for health reasons, and my mom quit with him to help him out. My mom used gum or peppermint discs when she had a craving, my dad wasn't fond of mint, so he used butterscotch discs.

I was lucky enough to be able to quit without much trouble, I guess I don't have an addictive personality! Good luck -- you will feel much better when you kick the habit!