Cure for Bad Dog Breath

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

I have a need to understand about a dog's bad breath. I have a 9 month old Chihuahua. Her breath is very smelly, not in a good way, for a young dog. The vets say brush her teeth, but I've tried and she won't let me. So I am in need of other methods. Please help and thank you.

By Cinaman from Sunny CA

Answers:

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

There are some dog bones available that will help with bad breath. Also diet contributes to bad breath. Consider switching to a holistic dog food. (12/09/2009)

By freya1970

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

For a quick cure, feed your puppy apple slices. They freshen the breath quickly. There are also some dog biscuits with parsley, I think Pedigree makes them, but am not sure, that work wonders on my Saint Bernard. (12/11/2009)

By tracesof

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

I agree with the dog treats. There are a lot of them that will help keep your dog's teeth clean and they make a toothpaste for dogs that they love, but you have to be quick about brushing.
I agree that the smell can also come from something they eat. Don't give them too many human treats. Some of them they can't digest.
(12/11/2009)

By eveh

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

A while back I found some doggie breath mints at Target, WalMart used to carry them too. My doggie loves them, but he rarely has bad breath as he eats lots of veggies and loves bananas. Even though your cutie does not like brushed teeth, then just put some toothpaste on your finger tip, and swab that little smelly mouth! You are the boss and it will help. My doggie hates getting into bath once in he loves it! Good luck

Also try "Greenies" they make little dog chews that are green and perfect for your size dog and they are for bad breath and dogs love those. (12/12/2009)

By meoowmom

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

Marrow bones. Dogs who chew on real marrow bones have the whitest teeth and no bad breath. You can get them at the meat counter, you just may not have noticed them before. If you don't see them, ask! They sell them just for this purpose. And dogs love to chew on real bones. They last so much longer than a treat that is here and gone. (12/14/2009)

By Beth

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

Please do NOT use human toothpaste for your dog, for one thing fluoride causes cancer in them. For another, many things (i.e. the sweetener Xylitol) is deadly to dogs, but fine for humans. This is why toothpaste tubes warn even humans that toothpaste is not to be swallowed or given to children.

I have a little Chihuahua, and she will not let me brush her teeth. I get a small, thin washcloth (or her vet recommends the washcloths for babies), wrap it around the finger, and just wipe her teeth clean w/that. It's much easier. Sometimes I sneak up on her while she's sleeping and just get a quick wipe in. If you want, and she allows you can get doggie toothpaste (I don't use most of them, as they have artificial colors, flavors, etc., but one that is good and vet recommended is PetzLife Oral care gel). You can get it on Amazon.

Also, the baby carrots, cut in half (organic bags at Trader Joe's are cheap). I think she'd be too small for the soup bones, my Chi is. She does, however, do well with RAW, only raw chicken necks. I cut the skin and fat off. The cooked bones splinter, of course, but raw does not. However, I read about a Yorkie who choked to death on one. So, I hold onto it while my girl chews away on it. When it gets smaller, I cut it into small pieces she can't choke on. I don't recommend the regular dog bones, etc. They're full of grains, chemicals, sometimes mold, mildew, and salmonella. (12/29/2009)

By Chandrala

Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face
Puppy With Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
🎉
🎄