Curtain and Rug Color Advice

Curtains and Rug
Choosing the best complementary colors for your curtains and area rugs is essential to creating an attractive decorating color scheme. This is a guide about curtain and rug color advice.

I have burgundy walls, oak flooring, and dark grey furniture. Any suggestions for rugs or curtains?

Dani from D.C.

I THINK HUNTERGREEN WILL LOOK LOVELY IT WILL MATCH PERFECT.GOOD LUCK

SHEILA IN WISCONSIN.

I'd use very light grey for the draperies. I wouldnt use a carpet, but rather highlight those beautiful floors.

How about teal?

I would use a light green or a tan color!!

I wold look for a carpet that is a dark green jewel tone( such as emerald) that has, either the burgundy from the walls, or possibly a pattern of small dots in jewel tones worked into it. This will brighten the look of the walls and furniture. For the curtains I would do either the color of the furniture, or pull one of the colors from the carpet, this will tie it all together. I would also place some throw pillows on the couch that either match the walls or the emerald of the carpet. I wish you good luck! Sigh, I wonder if I could talk my hubby into redecorationg!!!

Perhaps moss and fern greens and soft gold would work well with this combination? It sounds lovely, restful and quiet.

I've just got a new sofa which is black and silver. I've decorated my front room with 3 white walls and 1 light grey. My furniture is black glass with chrome legs, my coffee table is see thru glass and chrome legs. I want to know what colour curtains I should get to go against white walls?

My floor is medium colour oak laminate and I also want to know what colour rug I should get for under my table. I'm going to get a black mirror and wall art and a black nightshade, as I've got black lightshades on my lamps.
Please help. Thanks.

Why don't you get sheer gray curtains, and a gray and black print rug? It will be beautiful!

We just finished putting a med/dark wood floor and sage green walls in our dining room. I need ideas for color of curtains (I am thinking rod-type and 84" long) and an area rug for underneath the dining room table. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am planning to set a bedroom. My wall paint is white and the furniture is dark brown. How would it be if the curtains and carpet are a maroon colour?

If you have dark furniture, you might want either the curtains are carpet to be light as well. I like a dark carpet, because it doesn't show the dirt. You might like a printed fabric with some maroon in it for the curtains.

Yes, this could work in your bedroom, although, if the room is small, it may be a bit dark. But if the room is going to be only a place to sleep, that might not be an issue. However, if you want to use the room for study, or other activities, you might want to lighten it up a bit. There are softer, more subtle shades of maroon, closer to mauve, that might be better if you want a lighter feel to the room. The size of the room is important to take into consideration. If you have tall ceilings, you can get away with darker colors. There are more than a few online "color visualization" websites that could be helpful. The major paint and decorating companies all have these online options. To name several, they are: Glidden, Sherwin-Williams, Behr, and Lowes. I tried the Behr website and with your colors one suggestion was a palette of your brown, white, maroon, and for accents dark teal. I thought they looked quite nice together. But I wouldn't have thought so, until I saw it, so yes, these online, "virtual color visualization" websites can be useful. Happy decorating!

I think maroon would work fine, except that the walls are painted white, and to me that is the real problem. If you are looking for a muted colour scheme, you'd need to tone down the walls a lot. Parchment might be better.

If you like your white walls then maybe a dark teal carpet, with a white, teal print as curtains?

I agree with Helen. One way I've gotten around the stark white, and still have light walls is to blend another colour into the wall paint. In your case, you would buy the maroon curtains/draperies, and then when you painted the walls, you would add an amount of the same maroon to the white wall paint. You would have off white walls with a very slight hint of maroon. I know you didn't ask about wall paint colour, but I think its something you should consider.

I have a silver grey draylon paisley patterned sofa with 2 chairs. I chose a red carpet, oh dear! What colour of carpet, in a small room, should I change it with? I would also like ideas for nice curtains to bring all the colors. I want to make it look like a larger room and also homely.
Thank you.

We just painted our dining room walls a sage green and are finishing putting down a medium brown wood floor. We need to get curtains and an area rug for under the dining room table. What color curtains and rug would look good in this room?

We just bought a new living room set. It's called Bella from Bernie and Phyl's and I've added a pic of the swatches. The couch has reversible cushions. The living room isn't very big and there is not a lot of sunlight, so I want to put sheers in the windows. I need help on what color to paint the walls, color of curtains, and what color rug?

By Liliquin from MA

Take the swatches with you and compare them to paint and rug colors. Myself I think it looks like beiges, greys, or sages will work.

If I were you I would use beige carpet, a matte goldish color for the paint on the walls that one would possibly see at an Italian restaurant, and pull out one of the richer colors for the curtains. It looks to be a beautiful piece!

I would use the blue/gray or tan/cream for the walls and the other for the sheers, but not necessarily in a singular color. Look for ones that have a slight pattern or texture to them so they have some visual weight to blend with the furniture.

I am planning to buy curtains and a rug for my drawing room. I have printed sofas. Please suggest the right colour that will look good. Thanks.

I believe deep rich reds and blues would go really well with that type of couch. This couch has something regal about it. It would look great with a traditional Turkish or Persian style-design rug. As far as curtain, I would also not be afraid to go Eastern, with some great paisley and rich colours.

My couch is cream and my curtains are chocolate brown; would a grey rug look OK?

We have a large bedroom with adjoining bath and walk in closet. The walls are white, carpet beige, bedding reddish, beige, and multi colored stripes. There is also a bright yellow chaise lounge and yellow nite stand lamps. I plan on redoing everything at some point, but need some temporary inexpensive color changes until we can afford the whole makeover. My main problem is what color curtains and throw rugs to pull the beige floor, white walls, yellow accents and red/rust multi striped bedding together? I need to keep white walls for now. My current window sheers are a lavender - left over from previous comforter colors. Help!

Love the coverlet. Windows. Lose the "cafe" shortie. Oops. Is that a white shade? Too white. Tone it down to the lightest cocoa in coverlet, or darkish beige. There are paints that work for vinyl. You only have to paint as much as you actually pull down for lazy mornings. One site, projectophile.net is good. Get 2 cocoa full length panels, to the floor, (near the cocoa brown in coverlet). They go to the far sides of window then u can leave the "red" as if it sewn together. Do not tie back. Widen the rod to extend beyond the window so it looks bigger. The "right"red,a "throw" over back of yellow chaise and/or smaller rectangular pillow wrapped with the right colors clearance winter scarf. A darker cocoa or red/raspberry? rug or two. Or fun rag rugs with the right colors(cheap at places like Ollies or Big Lots. Even a bigger one partly under chaise/ under window. Personally I'd buy new lampshades. Even Marilyn Monroe didn't look good in yellow light. And please lower picture on left about 6" so the bottom of it is level with the one on right.

I really like the bed style, bed cover and the room as it is except for the curtains and throw rugs. The furniture makes a statement in itself and is vibrant. I think I'd be tempted to forego curtains altogether and go with simple louvered white blinds and change the throw rugs to a color picked from the bed cover. Or lime green maybe? I once saw white louvered blinds where every third or fourth louver was painted green. It looked really smart. Lime green like what's in the night tables? Just an idea.

I have a beige color wall and dark brown leather couch with dark wood floors. What color curtain and rug should I choose?

My sofa is almost exactly like yours. We have a matching recliner and another chair which is beige leather. Because we are old and subject to falls I opted not to have any sort of carpet. My 1950s hardwoods look nice without the rugs. I have white pull down shades with a valance (which I made) of striped denim.

I forgot to mention that my walls are bright yellow. I'll try to post a pic

I have chocolate couches. The walls are a light tan with white crown molding. Some of my decor is turquoise and beige/off white. What color should I do my curtains and my accent rug? I have super high ceilings.

I'm thinking turquoise to bring in the accents you already have for both.

I agree with the previous poster. Turquoise seems to be your accent colour. Go with it. You may want to go with a brown/tan/turquoise pattern on either the carpet or curtains, if you like patterns. I assume we are talking area rug. I do not think you would want to do a wall to wall carpet as turquoise. I'd go with a lighter shade of tan for that. Another option is to go with drapes that match the wall colour, as that makes the room look bigger, I think. I like drapes to be a background, but others like them to provide a punch of colour!

The house we planning to buy has dark red quarry tiles on all downstairs floors. My settee is a taupe color; what colour curtains/rugs can I have with that? I am not that keen on reds really.

By Nicole

Tan or light brown sheers would go nice with taupe sofa and red tiles... something neutral. Even a sage green. Best of Luck!

I would go with tans and browns. There is no need for the red of the tiles to appear anywhere else, if you are not fond of the colour.

I have black leather couches, black TV stand, black end tables and coffee table and white walls in my new apartment. I am looking for another color to add to the room, some wall decor, area rug, and curtains.

I have seen some cute white and gold throw pillows so I was thinking of black and gold, but I am not 100% sure. The coffee table is not pictured and I have white blinds, but haven't put them up yet.

The black is bold. If you want to keep the bold effect, you could add gold, or red, or silver. If you want a more calm effect, you could use earth tones. The earth tones would work well whether you covered the hardwood floors, or not.

I have a bright yellow color 5 seater sofa and white walls all over the house. The doors and French windows and rectangle coffee table are a mahogany color. Can you advise on what color curtains, cushions, and rug I can buy?

Also we have a king size 4 poster bed with dark blue sheets and pillows and a 2 sided color red and dark blue quilt. Can you suggest the curtain color for the bedroom too please? Thank you.

The color that comes to my mind first for your yellow/white combo would be an orange. And a vivid accent or two of a lime green. Those colors would certainly wake you up!! But I am all about bold, love the eye opening combos. Your bed and pillows are a bit harder. Since dark blue seems to be the dominate color, my suggestion would be to try to find a complimentary pattern (paisley?) using the red to bring it together. And black to accentuate.

Just my ideas! Hope this helps in some way!

I have light gray walls with white trim, gray furniture, and dark hardwood floors. I have gray, white, and yellow curtains now, but I need new ideas, I was thinking light blue for curtain panels. I have white black out ones as the main large curtains and panels on either side, but what about the rug color? I was thinking white. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped on colors.

I have light yellow color on my living room walls and flooring of black and white marble. Please give suggestions about color scheme for curtains.

By Deepika

I have a plum accent wall in my living room which the window is on. The other three walls are cream. I have olive green furniture with plum accent pillows. I am not sure what color curtains to put up against the plum wall without there being too much cream. Also not sure for an area rug.

By cassie5175

I have mint green walls with dark fudge colored trim. I was wondering what you might advise on colors of curtains, rugs, etc.

By Cameo

I have neutral egg shell colored walls, chestnut wood floors, with earthy green/brown textured furniture. I want to use a pop color for curtains, pillows, and a rug, but I am not sure which color(s) to choose.

By TBS

I have a sofa that has black leather arms and base with a very large back cushion that alternates plain black and one silver. I am wondering if a mauve rug and curtains would go. I was going to do silver, but wanted a bit of colour.

By Annette

I just painted my living room/dining room blue with a yellow accent wall directly across from the line of floor length windows. What color curtains and rug would you recommend? And what type of curtain?

By M.S.D.

I just ordered a cabernet paisley recliner, I have a light brown couch and the walls are a pale green, curtains are cabernet also. Please help. What color rug and curtains should I have? I'm a decorating nightmare :/

By L.V.

I have recently decorated my living room. It has a feature wall which has a cream background with black velvety, big bold flowers with grey leaves on it's coving paper. The rest of my walls are cream.

By Sharleen from London

My wall is painted both light pink and dusty rose, I have brown sofas.
What colour curtains and rug should I buy?

By Judith from Ugandan Kampala