Cute Tomato Cage Christmas Trees

Debra Frick

Thought you were through with your tomato cages for the year? Think again! They can be turned into very cute Christmas trees for your yard or your home. These beauties will light up your yard and are very affordable. So snatch up your tomato cages and come with me and let me show you how to put them to good use now until the tomatoes need them again in the spring.

Time to complete: One hour

Materials

• 1 tomato cage
  • 2-3 strings of 100 mini lights
  • twist ties
  • old CDs to hang from them

Instructions

Turn your tomato cage upside down and tie the legs together with a couple of twist ties or wire. Now you have your frame. Starting a the plug end of your lights at the bottom of your frame, string the lights up and down, tying with twist ties at the intersections of the round rings to hold on the lights. Add light strings as need to cover. If you have extra lights, they can be hung down the middle of your tree. The one in my picture is plain, but you can drill small holes in CDs and string with fishing line and hang them from the rings to reflect the light.

Have a bright Christmas from me to you!

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 8 grandsons and one granddaughter. She is a published author and poetress. Recycling and saving money are her passions. She also loves crocheting and cooking. She is also a pet rescue volunteer and has many pets of her own.

Thanks, I will remember that this summer when I see tomato cages on sale and I'll get several, to make me a mini-forest out on the lawn. I like natural-type designs, not the inflated things. Merry Christmas!

Cute! I have one I spray painted gold years ago and I use tiny red ribbon pieces to tie my Christmas cards all over it. It makes a nice place for them to be displayed.

I also saw this craft idea on DIY network. They used feather boas and garland--all kinds of stuff. What a perfect idea for someone who can't have a real tree, like a resident of a nursing home or in a hospital.

I seen where you can take tomato cages. Tie the legs together, turn upside down and put rope lights on. you can make your own little forest. Very Pretty, especially at night.

mary

I thought I made this up lol I bought garland w/lights in it at the dollar store (after christmas) and wrapped that around. In the daytime is looked alot like a real tree!

Tomato Cages Christmas Crafts
Christmas Crafts Using Tomato Cages
Crafts Christmas DecorationsDecember 20, 2007
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
🎄